Topwater outwest compared to north

brgbassmaster

So growing up in Michigan I was always able to get a topwater bite sometimes a week after ice out. Or even when there was ice still on some part of the lake. Also recently ive seen posts of guys in the north east catching bass on slammers with snow in back ground or with ice still on parts of their lakes. But out here in Arizona water is 65F and I still have yet to have a topwater bite in the big lakes. I don't get it. You would think they would hit year around here lol. Since in winter water only dips in the 40s. Why is it that its easy to catcfh on big wake baits in the north when the water is in the 30s low 40s but somewhere it stays warm year around its super hard to get bit consistently.

Why is it that its easy to catcfh on big wake baits in the north when the water is in the 30s low 40s but somewhere it stays warm year around its super hard to get bit consistently.

I wouldn't say that it's easy by any means. It has more to do around here with the type of water we're fishing. Right after ice out the shallowest water is going to warm the fastest. That's where the baitfish will go. Shallow water with baitfish means there will be big fish hunting usually. The bottom composition around where I'm fishing is a really shitty silty bottom so topwater is easier. It also helps if this spot is close to deeper water. All my bigger fish have come within 20-40 yards to the deepest spot on the water. It's usually a mid day bite. Earlier morning fish are far more sluggish.

I'd compare it to people. In Arizona when it gets that cold people are wearing snow jackets. Here when it gets above 30 some people are wearing shorts. They're usually fatter. Keep in mind too that this is one fish in 8-10 hours. 2-3 if you're lucky.

Edited by MA Frog Man

I definitely agree with that. Most of my lakes in Michigan that I fish are shallow compared to here. With a lot more grass and structure such as lay downs, docks, grass, rocks, and so on. Here its just cliffs and marinas it seems like everywhere I graph is 50+ft. I found a few areas with "flats"  but nothing like back home.

I also think it is relative to climate differences in the areas. Arizonas winters are like northern summers in some cases. Fish here are used to certain temps just like the people who live in the areas. When it's 45 degrees at night my family is bundled up with the heater cranked and the fireplace on. I have friends from Wisconsin who visited us and they were litteraly in the swimming pool and it was like 65 outside. I sat out here with jeans and a jacket on. I think fish get accostemed to the environment they are in. I know biology might disagree with my idea but I can't figure a different way to logically explain it.

Hey Ben, what lakes are you usually fishing out there? Have had some good early season top water at Alamo and Roosevelt. On the salt river chain I know of some giants that were caught on top that were smashing trout. Definitely a quality over quantity bite and casting angles are so important on the canyon type lakes. Paralleling the bank trying to bring it past every nook and cranny which they use to funnel and pen food into. I think at canyon and saguaro their waiting for a ringtail to get a drink...lol