Anyone fished Quabbin lately?

CCMD

Thanks for all of the input, fellas. We had a rough day, conditions wise. It looked great to start: sunny, winds calm, warmer than expected (49 degrees at 8:30 AM). Saw some fish pushing shallow on our first stop. We were pumped for the afternoon bite. Then the clouds blew in, the wind picked up and it felt colder at 1 PM than it did at 9 AM. Hard to fish anything on the bottom due to the wind blowing and not really maintaining contact with the bait. I still managed a decent day with 7 fish on the deck, 4 of which were nice pre-spawn fatties between 2.5 and 3.5 lbs. All of my fish were caught on conventional tackle. In fact, they were all caught on 1 bait: Duo Realis Spinbait 90 in the Prism Gill color. Dynamite bait for the post-frontal conditions. My buddy fished a jerkbait most of the day and had only 1 fish to show for it. I felt bad I had only the 1 spinbait. I even let him throw that bait for a while, and he did catch 1 good fish on it.

I did fish some 5" underspins, a triple trout and an Evergreen ESflat some, but had no takers and no follows. 

Big plug for the Duo Realis Spinbait 90. It was the only thing they were biting all day in the wind, clouds and cold temps. Water temp was 53-54 pretty much all day. We found some good looking sheltered water in the afternoon, but we couldn't manage a bite or really even mark any fish. We found them pretty much only in the wind on reefs and main lake points, classic pre spawn staging areas.

Wish I could be back in about a week. I bet the next warm/sunny week makes the Q smallies go absolutely nuts.

The bite sucks there with no wind. I have a Xi5 with anchor lock so the wind is not an issue. Quabbin fits the old saying that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water perfectly. Everywhere looks so good but it really is not.