Shore fishing with swimbaits

DMac

I'm still fairly new to swimbaits, and I mainly fish from shore. I'm looking for a few main things I should focus on this year to maximize my swimbait fishing. What are some very important techniques you guys use when fishing from shore with swimbaits? Any and all tips appreciated. Thanks

Timing, and choosing the right body of water are going to be critical. You also want to choose water that you think has some bigger fish in it. I fish a pond during my lunch breaks. Spring prespawn fishing and fall, when the weeds are lower are my prime times for swimbaits. Its got some relatively big fish in it, largest I've caught was 6-1. I have a few other shore spots, and any that really produce any action outside of those two periods have some pretty deep water, very close by. They also tend to get very little pressure. A big lake, with public access fishing might be good, but often not for me.Its why I got into fishing kayaks - but that's for another post.

I do have a few spots that I have fished before and get little serious pressure, and I know there are some big fish there because I've caught a few over 5 on other baits before. But what I'm looking for isn't so much about finding good water, but in maximizing your fishing through good technique from shore. I see what your talking about in knowing when the bite gets good based on the season.

Its not even about the bite being good, just that some shore spots are too weed choked to fish in summer, and covered in ice in winter, LOL.

Technique? Same tech applies to shore as in a boat. Most boaters make the same mistake shore bound anglers do, just in a mirror image. Don't just chuck out ion the open water because you can. Sell the bait off as a vulnerable, easy to get meal. Know where the best ambush points are, the routes the bait use to move, and what's going on.

Example: Its early summer, and I'm froggin' my nooner pond. I'm seeing some blowups behind my frog, in open water. Weird, looks like they're missing. Then I see it happen in close. A blue gill that was following the frog's skirt legs just got munched..... Off to the truck for swimbait rod and a Hard Gill floater, and toss on open areas near weeds. Catch a few nice bass on a day where nothing was going on with the frog.

Oh wow thats being observant with the frog. In regards to boaters and their techniques, isn't it easy to fish a point while in a boat? How would you fish a point from shore? it would have to be a little different right? Thats what Im going for. I'd definetly like to hear from the so cal guys on this, because I know they do really good from shore, especially in heavily pressured waters. At least I know some of them do

Start off to the side of it, and cast across it. Make you way up to it, then fish the sides. Then work to the other side and fish across it. Then work the inside cove anchored by a good secondary point....that's where the big one is.

The issue is, guys usually plop their crap down on the beach, and cast straight out as far as they can, with no regards to reading the water or the structure of the pond. Boaters will do the same thing, motor up to the shore, ans cast straight back at the shore. Its funny. Think parallel, or at an angle to the structure and you'll do better.