Going to Clear Lake any tips?

chrisstanley11

Hey Dudes! I am going to clear lake tomorrow for the first time and going to fish it for a solid 3 days. Any tips you guys can give me be much appreciated! Anybody fish it on a regular basis or within the last week or please get at me!

Was there a couple weeks ago, jigs in tules and frogs were the best bite. 0 swimbait fish, and we put our time in with them. Our better bites were north of the narrows, all along state park side to upper lake. Heading back this weekend, I may start on south end this time, see how the deep crank bite is going. Sorry I don't have better swimbait tips rt now, , in the past wind blown banks have produced bites with slammer type baits, and an occasional glide fish, rising sons and ospreys have put fish in the boat too. 

I was there for several days at the end of May. It was my first time there as well. It's an amazing place. Basically everywhere you look, looks like it should hold bass. 

I had a couple of bites on the Battleshad fishing around Rocky Point, but that was it for the swimbaits.

With conventional gear I had the most luck with PB&J jigs, underspins + swim jigs with 4.3" -4.8" keitechs in the tules around the State Park, County Park, and Dorn Bay areas. A handful of frog bites, but the topwater bits wasn't going yet. Not for me at least. 

Also had some luck with jerk baits along the rocks in Jones and Jago Bay and the ends and along the sides of docks everywhere.

Caught some nice fish. Hooked a true giant on an underspin, but when I saw how big he was, I made the mistake of backing off too much, and he got me wrapped up in the tules and threw my bait. 

Good trip though. I learned a lot. I fIshed all over the lake. I'll go back for sure. Hopefully next time in a bigger boat. That wind is tough in a 13' canoe powered by a crappy trolling motor.

Lastly, talk to the guys at Clearlake Outdoors. Good dudes there. They'll point you in the right direction.