Where to start at Clear Lake???

Morph808

Hi everyone and especially to guys who fish Clear Lake routinely. My buddy and I are going to fish there for the first time in our little 12ft aluminum boat in 2 weeks. We are launching out of Konocti and hoping to find some decent areas to try that isn't too far of a ride. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks!

Oh and on a side note...how rare is it to find a new Deps 175 SS floating model here in the US? I got one in Wild Carp on a Japan visit for $35 US bucks brand new.

(If you want to share in private, just PM me ;)

Agree on wind advisory. I've witnessed that water go from dead calm to near 5ft white cap in little over 30 minutes. Watch the weather closely and don't stray. And don't worry about suggestions on where to start, that lake is huge, in your craft you need to work what you see. The lake is teaming with life. Stick to that side and slide down to Soda Bay for a minute if you wish. It's not far.

Just got back, third weekend in a row with 100+ fish days. Very little swimbait action lately unfortunately, but a med diving crank or lipless, shakey head, and football jig are on fire rt now. As far as wind goes, if you stay close to north end you'll be unaffected, but personally I'd avoid the north end, it's too shallow to find fish on your graph, and the stringy grass up there along with soupy algae just makes for tough approach. The best bite has been off rock piles, sandy/light gravel beaches, and bays down south. Soda Bay has been productive also. I would advise against trying to take an aluminum from Konocti to south end, but you can always trailer it to where you want to fish, lots of places to launch. 

Just got back, third weekend in a row with 100+ fish days. Very little swimbait action lately unfortunately, but a med diving crank or lipless, shakey head, and football jig are on fire rt now. As far as wind goes, if you stay close to north end you'll be unaffected, but personally I'd avoid the north end, it's too shallow to find fish on your graph, and the stringy grass up there along with soupy algae just makes for tough approach. The best bite has been off rock piles, sandy/light gravel beaches, and bays down south. Soda Bay has been productive also. I would advise against trying to take an aluminum from Konocti to south end, but you can always trailer it to where you want to fish, lots of places to launch.

Will we just be too exposed if we attempt to ride that far south to Soda Bay? How far of a ride would that be? If we gun it, we can get up to 25 mph with our boat.

Will we just be too exposed if we attempt to ride that far south to Soda Bay? How far of a ride would that be? If we gun it, we can get up to 25 mph with our boat.

No that's not too far, at that speed just about a 10 min ride. The thing with CL you really have to be careful about is that the wind comes from the NW side, and when you're on the N end you have no idea how rough it is out on main body because of the wind break the N side provides, so if you're traveling south, it takes a few miles before you can start seeing how rough it actually is, then you're pretty much screwed by that time and may as well try to ride it out as best as possible. It's a shallow lake, and that's main reason why it gets so damn nasty. But at this time of the year you should be fine, around April is the worst, when you get the warmer days mixed with cooler nights. And if you stay closer to shoreline you're a little better off. 

If you're not looking to re-launch the boat, just stay along state park side while heading to Soda, throw some 8" glide baits out in front of the wind blown tules, it's a little late in the year for that bite, but every once in a while one slips up and will grab it. Slammer type baits worked just under the surface on the windy tules and points will produce also. 

The fish are feeding on silversides right now, they're only about an inch or so long and when you find the bait you'll find the bass. Trying to match that bait isn't critical, but big heavy baits aren't very effective around them, unless it mimics a crappie, and pretty often you'll see crappie breaking the surface because something's chasing them. 

I was there not long ago. I fish in a tiny boat too. Don't ignore these wind warnings. It gets crazy.

There's really no need for long boat rides. Plenty of launches to choose from. 

If you do get a windy day and don't know where to go, stop by Clear Lake Outdoors and ask them. They helped me out a few times. All really good dudes, from what I experienced. 

And get a map if you haven't already. Have fun!

Edited by Bloodkitty