OG Deps 175 SS tuning issues

Nickyee55

So I have 2 OG Deps 175 SS and one of them was not swimming correctly. Basically dead action unless I burn it back. So I weighed it compared to my other one that swims right. Well the good one weighs 84 grams and the bad one is 76g! So pretty big difference. So do I just get new weights? Add tungsten putty? How do you get old weights out? Help please haha!

To remove the weight take a soldering iron and press it to the lead till you hear the glue popping/crackling.  You can try prying it out with a flat head with out using heat but you risk chipping and marring up the edges. 

As far as adding weight goes. I would use tungsten putty. Just because you can add and subtract weight easier. Once you find what weight you like with the putty and feel like you have to have lead, then pour yourself some weights.

. Basically dead action unless I burn it back. So I weighed it compared to my other one that swims right. Well the good one weighs 84 grams and the bad one is 76g! So pretty big difference. So do I just get new weights? Add tungsten putty? How do you get old weights out? Help please haha!

Make sure it's not the joint that's the problem before you start tearing the bait apart. Does it sink level?

You can also put some lead tape over the weights already in it and see if that helps. It would be easier than pulling the weights out and starting over. Use the lead tape made for golfers. Most sporting goods stores will have it.

post-18711-0-06667800-1504364471_thumb.jpg

Its all about the eye screws!

Exactly - this is why I'm saying to check out the joint first. If you have one that swims great, measure the length of both eye screws coming out of the front section. Then, make sure the ones on the problem bait are the same length. Sometimes they can be too short or two long by a half a turn.

Exactly - this is why I'm saying to check out the joint first. If you have one that swims great, measure the length of both eye screws coming out of the front section. Then, make sure the ones on the problem bait are the same length. Sometimes they can be too short or two long by a half a turn.

Ok I didn't think about measuring those out. I will measure and compare them both side by side and try to make adjustments accordingly. Hopefully that solves it

Just to be clear -- the two screw eyes on any given bait are supposed to be slightly different lengths (top vs bottom). Sometimes, when they are being assembled,  a screw may go in a half turn or a whole turn too far or not enough. Comparing them to a bait that you know swims well is the best way to check them. Use calipers or cut a short bit of wire, etc. to the right length, then compare them. 

I hope that makes sense.

Just to be clear -- the two screw eyes on any given bait are supposed to be slightly different lengths (top vs bottom). Sometimes, when they are being assembled,  a screw may go in a half turn or a whole turn too far or not enough. Comparing them to a bait that you know swims well is the best way to check them. Use calipers or cut a short bit of wire, etc. to the right length, then compare them. 

I hope that makes sense.

Yeah I get it. I was going to use my dial calipers to measure out the eye lengths.