Swimbait Walleye

whompuscat658

I've seen smaller go above the fireplace. That's a lifetime fish. I've never caught a walleye close to that. I asked a guide in WI who took me out on Green Bay and said he had seen 2 in his life that went 31, never a 32, never a 30, and only a few around the size of yours. That's a fish to be proud of man! I'm hoping to catch any walleye on a swimbait just because they're so hard to catch where I'm at!

I've seen smaller go above the fireplace. That's a lifetime fish. I've never caught a walleye close to that. I asked a guide in WI who took me out on Green Bay and said he had seen 2 in his life that went 31, never a 32, never a 30, and only a few around the size of yours. That's a fish to be proud of man! I'm hoping to catch any walleye on a swimbait just because they're so hard to catch where I'm at!

You just made my day, dude. Thank you. love it when positive people roll through

• 2 weeks later...

Beast, that is a nice Walleye. Outside of this PB how has been your walleye experience with swimbaits? My dad lives near Lake Erie in MI, Ive been trying to get him to try out tossing big baits for Walleye but I havent seen/heard much real world feedback on it?

Great Walleye! I fish big ones every fall with 6" floating raps and bombers. Next fall I plan to throw glides because of cases like this, and because guys are throwing them in Washington for true giants! People mount 27"s here in MN so it's awesome that you got this big one in CO.

Beast, that is a nice Walleye. Outside of this PB how has been your walleye experience with swimbaits? My dad lives near Lake Erie in MI, Ive been trying to get him to try out tossing big baits for Walleye but I havent seen/heard much real world feedback on it?

Swimbaits and other big baits work very well for big walleye. Deps 175, Real Prey perch, and Hudds 68 work. They will absolutely catch big Walleye in Lake Erie.

I’ve been throwing big swmbaits at ‘eyes in CO for about 8 years and it does work. I’ve caught around thirty fish in the 28â€+ class and there are definitely lures they seem to prefer. My PB, a teener that was somewhere between 14 and 16-lbs, depending on the online calculator I used, are a 6†Rising Son. I’ve taken 3 or so on the 6†BBZ, 3 or so on the 8†floating BBZ, 4 on the 7†Slammer including three in one epic night, and three on the Deps 175. However, the best lure for me, without a doubt, has been the 8†ROF 5 Hudd (just like in my avatar). All of my other swimbait walleye have come on the abuse and all but one of those hit the ROF 5.

I’m not going to lie and say this is the best way to catch big walleye — I fish with a couple of guys who throw hefty jerkbaits and they probably put Fish me 2:1 or even 3:1. Still, the average walleye I hook and land is right around 27-29†so I can handle being outfished. Heck, I am spoiled and I love it. Plan on lots of long, cold nights and pay lots of attention to the water - the big girls will give you clues on what they’re doing and that can increase your success.

I’ve been throwing big swmbaits at ‘eyes in CO for about 8 years and it does work. I’ve caught around thirty fish in the 28â€+ class and there are definitely lures they seem to prefer. My PB, a teener that was somewhere between 14 and 16-lbs, depending on the online calculator I used, are a 6†Rising Son. I’ve taken 3 or so on the 6†BBZ, 3 or so on the 8†floating BBZ, 4 on the 7†Slammer including three in one epic night, and three on the Adele 175. However, the best lure for me, without a doubt. Has been the 8†ROF 5 Hudd. All of my other swimbait walleye have come on the abuse and all but one of those hit the ROF 5.

I’m not going to lie and say this is the best way to catch big walleye — I fish with a couple of guys who throw hefty jerkbaits and they probably put Fish me 2:1 or even 3:1. Still, the average walleye I hook and land is right around 27-29†so I can handle being outfished. Heck, I am spoiled and I love it. Plan on lots of long, cold nights and pay lots of attention to the water - the big girls will give you clues on what they’re doing and that can increase your success.

Edited by FishDr

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I’ve gotten them on the smaller s wavers but overall, my experience chasing them with big sbs is fairly limited, especially compared to people like the guy above me. He taught me what I know and got me started...

I will say that I threw jerkbaits at this spot for literally days upon days worth of hours and never caught one over 24. I had nights where I’d get like nine or ten fish all from 21-24 but no real big ones. The amount of time I’ve thrown lather swimbaits there is negligible in comparison. I think that says something about big lures...

• 2 weeks later...

Whompuscatfish' picture shows exactly why 'eyes and swimbaits sometimes go together...as do these two pictures.

28" 'eye vs. an 8" Hudd

post-17912-0-79561500-1511884571_thumb.jpg

30.5" x 20" 'eye vs. a 6.75" RS (my first and so far only teener walleye)

post-17912-0-45694500-1511884581_thumb.jpg

It's a low-rewards game, though - I think I'm now on trip 14 or 15 without a fish.