So Cal trout color question.

Bloodkitty

I grew up in the South and trout/trout stockings aren't something I wasn't familiar with until last year when I started fishing out here in SoCal. I mainly fish the Castaic and a couple of other spots around LA. I read the stocked trout's color changes a couple of days after being released.

I've been there during the stockings, and I think I've seen both phases, I was curious to see the side by side difference. Anyone got good before and after pics of the real thing or paint jobs that are good representations? 

Thanks!

In my experience, stocked trout look nothing like most trout imitation baits. Stocked trout are ugly, plain and simple (rainbows) and I find them to be much more of a grayish-Sivery than the common green/redish-pink/white. I spent, and still spend alot of my fishing time fishing for trout, and it is extremely easy to tell those fish freshly stocked from a wild or holdover fish.

Depends entirely upon hatchery vs water they're placed. Many trout species, many hatchery hybrid. And that's what they are, hybrid. From what I'm aware, hatchery fish are sterile in being cross fertilized with salmon. At least those I've seen here in NorCal. The idea is to not dilute natural species genetic while assisting anglers, or consumers at restaurants and grocery outlet, while providing sport and substance. Moreover, a sterile fish grows much faster given roughly 25% of natural lifecycle is destined to reproduction. Without it, that is 25% more time to feed. On top of 25%, on top of 25%, and so on as the fish ages. They grow very quick compared what one might think. They are not close to the same.

I think thats only for F1 hybrids- some body correct me if im wrong here. Now if a hybrid is "in" capable to reproduce- there has been some that "was" able to produce bye luck- that would mean their size was quickly grown and able to reproduce,,,so that theory is half truth/ half guess in any species

I'm not familiar with So-Cal hatchery trout but up here in the northern part of the state there is quite a bit of variation even amongst the planters. But, for the most part, they tend to be mostly silver/white in color with very little pink or purple on their sides and they range from a light green (almost yellow at times) to a light aqua blue back. Very rarely are they dark in color. The regular rainbow trout color from Huddleston is pretty close most of the time and the light trout pattern on the Baitsmith mags is about as close as I've seen in the water to what they look like. This picture is pretty close to what we generally see. post-18520-0-41740500-1509469310_thumb.jpeg

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the details too much. I don't want to say color doesn't matter because I think in some cases it does especially in really clear water, but if it looks generally like a trout and it moves like a trout they usually don't care to much about the details.

Google Hinkle Trout

The color is pretty good and I'm sure it's a good bait but as far as realism (and this is just my opinion) the hinkle looks nothing like any trout I've ever seen. Again, nothing against the bait because it obviously works but it's an odd representation of a trout to me. I've never seen pronounced scales on a trout and the overall profile and fin coloration are definitely not what you would normally see in a hatchery trout. Having said that, I wish I had one cuz I'd definitely fish it! LoL!

The color is pretty good and I'm sure it's a good bait but as far as realism (and this is just my opinion) the hinkle looks nothing like any trout I've ever seen. Again, nothing against the bait because it obviously works but it's an odd representation of a trout to me. I've never seen pronounced scales on a trout and the overall profile and fin coloration are definitely not what you would normally see in a hatchery trout. Having said that, I wish I had one cuz I'd definitely fish it! LoL!

I was referring mostly to the color, not the profile.  The color is near dead on to stocker trouts.  Especially with the silver and light purple hue.  I too agree that the baitsmith mag is by far the best representation when it comes to color size and profile. Also most likely the reason I have caught 3 of my biggest fish on a mag.  4th largest was on the Hinkle trout Ironically.

I was referring mostly to the color, not the profile.  The color is near dead on to stocker trouts.  Especially with the silver and light purple hue.  I too agree that the baitsmith mag is by far the best representation when it comes to color size and profile. Also most likely the reason I have caught 3 of my biggest fish on a mag.  4th largest was on the Hinkle trout Ironically.

Totally agree.