SD Fisherman

socalfisherman

I've been throwing the big baits non stop for over a week now with nothing to show. Been grinding it out at a few select lakes but could really use some words of encouragement. Lol. Anyone else having the same problems?

Hahaha... yeah, those lakes can be tough... 

I've been throwing the big baits non stop for over a week now with nothing to show. Been grinding it out at a few select lakes but could really use some words of encouragement. Lol. Anyone else having the same problems?

One huge piece of advise when throwing sb in SD... Slooooooowww dooowwnnnn.

I just started tossing big swimbaits in SD a month ago and it's a grind.  I hit up DVL yesterday too with a buddy and he got one follower on a deps 250.  Yet to catch em in SD on swimbaits....

Welcome to the club, you've been bit by the bug....   

What are you throwing for a bait?   Something to remember is our SD lakes get a lot of pressure with everyone throwing all sorts of baits.   Also, as Fernando said above, gotta slow it way down.   The term "slow roll" comes to mind and when you think you're going slow, go slower.   A lot of this is determined whether you're fishing from a boat or shore pounding too. 

I'll be the first to admit as others have hinted, I've gone multiple trips throwing big bait with nothing to show for it but a swol arm from chucking baits.  Big swimbaits is a quality over quantity when it comes to catching bass.  It's the thrill of feeling that bump that keeps me throwing big baits.   

Keep it up and you'll get rewarded.   Also, don't be afraid to ask the questions so you understand why you should throw a certain bait over an other.   For example when to throw a paddle tail vs a glide vs multi jointed baits.   Opinions will vary but every bit of information will make you a better fisherman.   Good luck and hope you stick one soon.  

Welcome to the club, you've been bit by the bug....   

What are you throwing for a bait?   Something to remember is our SD lakes get a lot of pressure with everyone throwing all sorts of baits.   Also, as Fernando said above, gotta slow it way down.   The term "slow roll" comes to mind and when you think you're going slow, go slower.   A lot of this is determined whether you're fishing from a boat or shore pounding too. 

I'll be the first to admit as others have hinted, I've gone multiple trips throwing big bait with nothing to show for it but a swol arm from chucking baits.  Big swimbaits is a quality over quantity when it comes to catching bass.  It's the thrill of feeling that bump that keeps me throwing big baits.   

Keep it up and you'll get rewarded.   Also, don't be afraid to ask the questions so you understand why you should throw a certain bait over an other.   For example when to throw a paddle tail vs a glide vs multi jointed baits.   Opinions will vary but every bit of information will make you a better fisherman.   Good luck and hope you stick one soon.

Thanks man I probably should've been more specific above. I've been throwing big baits for over a year now, but am always seeking more advise. I fish the lakes that have grass all over the bottom so it's been hard to fish the soft bait variety. I've had a decent amount of followers on the 250 on a slow retrieve, but only short bites to show for it. What do you think I could change?

Thanks man I probably should've been more specific above. I've been throwing big baits for over a year now, but am always seeking more advise. I fish the lakes that have grass all over the bottom so it's been hard to fish the soft bait variety. I've had a decent amount of followers on the 250 on a slow retrieve, but only short bites to show for it. What do you think I could change?

Before you see those followers or your bait.. imagine there are followers (even if they aren't there) and switch up the retrieve. Pump the reel, glide the bait to one side then twitch hard to the other. Pull out all your tricks but do it in the kill zone.

Again, I agree with Fernando.   

A lot of times when you see  followers, we have the tendency to change our retrieve and this will throw off the bite more times than not.   However, when you see the followers they also see you!   Although when you see followers I interpret this  to they like what you've got to offer but aren't convinced that is something to eat.   This is where changing the retrieve with burst or rod jerks will sometimes prompt a bite.   You'll also want to have other baits tied on ready to throw as follow up baits like smaller or larger profile to see if that will entice a bite. 

When I dedicate a trip to fishing big baits, I'll have 3 tied up and laying on the deck.  Here's an example;  Hinkle Trout, Deps 250, Deps 170.  If I'm fishing articulating baits then it's 10" freestyle, 8" freestyle, shad freestyle.   Soft baits 10" Hudd, 9" Baitsmith, 68 Hudd.  I also, like battles shad, 8" rising sun, 5" rising sun for paddle tails 

A lot of our SD lakes have grass in them and this is where picking your swimbait for this comes into play.   If you're gonna be fishing over the top then you can use all of the above options.  If you plan to rip through them, I use the last option of paddle tails since you can fish these weedless. 

This is just an example and people have varying opinions but this is what works for me.