Cardiff 400a issue

JoshPerkins802

I've searched other threads and all over Google but couldn't find an answer, that being said I just bought a Cardiff 400 for a starter swimbait reel. I was out messing around with it yesterday trying to get a good feel for it but every cast I'd get serious overrun, no matter what I did with the brakes. Almost like the top 3 layers of line become very loose. I started adjusting my cast control knob and found I have to tighten it extremely hard to get any affect whatsoever, I don't think I should have to tighten it that much but this is my first round reel so maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I was throwing a Jackall Gantarel on 20lb Flouro on a TFO G. Loomis edition 7'11" Mag Heavy.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I've searched other threads and all over Google but couldn't find an answer, that being said I just bought a Cardiff 400 for a starter swimbait reel. I was out messing around with it yesterday trying to get a good feel for it but every cast I'd get serious overrun, no matter what I did with the brakes. Almost like the top 3 layers of line become very loose. I started adjusting my cast control knob and found I have to tighten it extremely hard to get any affect whatsoever, I don't think I should have to tighten it that much but this is my first round reel so maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I was throwing a Jackall Gantarel on 20lb Flouro on a TFO G. Loomis edition 7'11" Mag Heavy.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

What line are you throwing? I have had trouble with cheap fluorocarbon being too stiff and tending to be loose on the spool. 

Tighten the cast control knob just tight enough to keep the spool from moving back and forth then put all the internal brakes on and cast if no backlash take one off and try again until you get the right setting. I learned this from one of matt Allens videos and it's worked great for me

Yes I tried adjusting the VBS, and nothing. I will definitely try that Garrett. And I had it spooked at Green Top (my local fishing store) but it still doesn't explain why I have to tighten my CC knob extremely tight to get a 2.5 ounce lure to slow down. Thanks for the info though!

I have a 300 and don't have to tighten the brakes down too much to make a difference...

That being said I almost never rely on cast control anymore especially with big baits. My thumb stays on the spool almost the entire time during a cast and acts as my brake. I use 20 lb big game mono on my cardiff and the stuff loves to spring away from the reel if given any slack. Keeping my thumb on the spool gives me more control in managing my line and slowing my spool down if it's going too fast. It sounds like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it you can gain more distance with each cast and say your goodbyes to overrun.