Favorite Hudd rod?

MichiganBigbaiter

Old school Loomis SWBR-957C (imx series) with the full grip

Loomis BBR-966C GL2 XH or Mag Heavy

I see a lot of guys mentioning Dobyns but I have no experience with the 807 but I am perplexed that some guys mentioned the 867 and 908 which are super soft and built more for the glide baits but hey learn something new everyday

Old school Loomis SWBR-957C (imx series) with the full grip

Loomis BBR-966C GL2 XH or Mag Heavy

I see a lot of guys mentioning Dobyns but I have no experience with the 807 but I am perplexed that some guys mentioned the 867 and 908 which are super soft and built more for the glide baits but hey learn something new everyday

i love my 908 for the hudd

I was just looking back through this thread and I just had a few thoughts about rod choices. I definitely think everyone should fish whatever rod they like or feel comfortable with. Having said that, I think, like with any bait, there is a proper power and action for each bait. But when it comes to swimbaits I've noticed that a lot of guys want to go overkill on almost everything and especially rods. I understand the mentality. You're trying to catch the biggest fish in the lake so you want to have heavy enough gear to do the job. But, I guess I just think that most of the time guys are overthinking it and possibly just haven't caught very many fish on swimbaits and they just don't really know what they need exactly. For Hudds, most true XH rated swimbait sticks (with a few exceptions) are going to be overkill in my opinion. It'll do the job, no doubt, but it's like using a 1/2" drive ratchet to tighten a 10mm bolt. It just doesn't feel right. There definitely seems to be a proper power and action for the 8" hudd and I would say it's starts with the Dobyns 807 on the lower end and a Loomis 957 on the very upper end. It's really not that heavy of a bait and I believe the casting ability and feel with those types of rods is going to work the best for that bait. Totally just my opinion and I take no issue with anyone's choice to feel differently. Please, feel free to use whatever works for you and have fun doing it. After hundreds of fish on 8" hudds I just feel like I'm finally starting to get a pretty good idea of what equipment works the best for me. Good luck to everyone in their swimbait fishing endeavors!

• 1 month later...

Love using my 908. I didn't buy it for that purpose but it is perfect for throwing a mile and getting a ton of leverage for a good hookset with jig hooks.

I wouldn't throw a treble rigged Hudd on it though, use an 806 for that.