gear ratios

WVOEKS54

The gear ratio means how many times the spool spins for each time you turn the handle. For examples, a 6.1:1 means that for each one time you turn the handle the spool turns 6.1 times.

Lower gear ratio means more power. I also find it easier to work baits slow. If you are working baits fast up high in the water column you can go with a fast 6.1:1 reel. I don't use anything faster than that for swimbaits. I have them 7.1:1 for ripping traps. If you are working deep and slow go with a low gear ratio like 5.1:1. Sometimes a better measurement is inches per handle turn.

"When you think you're working your lure slow enough slow it down x10" <-- that's always a rule I've tried to fish by, and by getting the lowest gear ratio I possibly could made the #'s of fish I catch go way up. Forcing myself to slow down with a lower gear ratio is what I would opt for in your position. Bronzeback pretty much hit the nail on the head though. Just my 2 cents. My reel is a 5.4:1 (I think?)

sometimes you also have to look beyond the gear ratio and look at the IPT (inches per turn) that is what you really are interested in. Sometimes a higher gear ratio can have a lower IPT than a lower gear ratio. It gets tricky to just look at one. Also, I know everyone says a lower gear ratio for swimbaits is better and I agree. However, I only had a 7.0:1 gear ratio reel and I swimbait with that reel all the time, I just have to show alot of patience to keep the reel going slow. But having a faster gear ratio or higher IPT can help with deadsticking because it can pick up line faster and might let you get that hook set before the fish tosses the bait. Its really all about preference and what you are comfortable with. Dont think that you have to use a 5 gear ratio because the higher ones will work you just have to fish slower than you would if you had a 5.

hope that helps

I got this tip from Bassindon from a long time ago. Look at your spool and never worry about your gear ratio. If you have a high gear ratio, you can always slow down. I never have a problem switching from curado to calcutta.

thats good advice right there, the less you think about gear ratios the better you will be. You have to know that you can just adjust your speed instead of trying to buy different reels instead. I have two swimbait combos with 7 gear ratios and one with a 5 and never have any problems

Haha.... some of use with ADD have trouble slowing down especially after a big fish follows a bait it. Slowing down can be hard but it is definitelly possible with a higher gear ratio. Lower gear ratios just allow you to reel at a more comfortable speed... at least for me. You can also decrease the inches per turn by not having your spool full of line, you do lose casting distance when you do that.

The ultimate goal is to slow down. So do what you need to do to accomplish that whether that is a low inches per turn reel or if that is you having the ability to barily turn that handle.