Reinventing glide baits

Black Talon

This has been a process for just over 7 years from my first proto type that I started with. Over the years you always find yourself changing it to fit certain situations better. From changing small mods on the body to hook placement on top.

There are many reasons why I went with the hooks on top instead of hanging off the belly. When the lure rest on the bottom she will sit perfectly straight up horizontally with no leaning to the one side or another. 2, has a much cleaner profile to the lure. Also you lose the leverage factor with the hooks hanging from the belly. Now with the hooks close to the line tie you take away that factor of them using the lure to pull the hooks.

I make them with two different actions, the typical “s†swing and the other is with a tail kick action.

I’ve found over the years one of the best ways to fish them is with a stop and go retrieve. I’ll do a quick burn with the reel to move the lure no more then 8’ and pause it. They will flutter back to the bottom and sit upright. Wait 5seconds and repeat.

The hook is held in place by a earth magnet that has a holding force of 5.46lbs. The only time the hooks come off is if you snag a branch. They will stay in place from casting and the long bomb out cast also.

I hand make each one for now but might look into resins. Just not sure I could get them to preform exactly like the wood ones.

They are 4.75†long and weigh 2.7oz.

Sounds cool, however I feel like most of my glide bait bites come from underneath. Would be nice for a heavier bait that you could rip and lift off the bottom or bottom bounce where they don’t have much choice in how they approach and attack the bait. Either way I’d love to see some pics once you figure out how to post them. You could message them or email them to me lukebrennan@rocketmail.com and I’ll post it for you.

Edited by Lakeshark

I was going to say the same as Lakeshark, where most glide bites seem to come from the bottom, but this bait seems bite sized enough it might not matter!! Great work man.

What is the length and weight?   should be a sweet bottom bait.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...