Cl8 Clacker Review

swinbaitbassing

Ive caught some nice fish on the cl8 clacker i had and lost it on a monster, fish.

First Of all, Twitching the bait, it doesnt tangle often and giving it a nonstop quick twitch drove the bass crazy. or slow twiching. Its how i caught my biggest on it.

Slow rolling it has a perfect swim, ive only used the 5 in though, attracts and catches fish, Definatly getting a new one!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You don't have to apologize for being excited! Ill let you in on a little secret some days just catching a fish long enough to throw in the live well makes me feel like I just won the entire tourny!

Nice fish, looks like a fun place to live/fish!

• 3 months later...

I just got one of the 5" clackers yesterday, and gave it a workout today. The Ayu color and body shape is a good match for the herring in my lake, although I kind of wish I'd gotten the 7.

Positives: All three hooks have rotating swivels, allthough I took the tail hook off. I don't think it is necessary on a bait this size. I like the way the line tie was done, keeps the profile a little more low key. Swimming action is nice, like a triple trout, but a little tighter/faster, probably because the tail is solid unlike the TT. Action is a very good match to herring swimming action. Casts well, and can be worked on the surface very convincingly like a fleeing bait, even "jumping" once you get the hang of the rod angle and action. On a slower roll it seemed to track about 1.5-2 ft deep and would suspend without folding for a beat before sinking at a rate I'd say is slower than a TT and a little faster than a HPH. Most importantly it got bit. I fished it in the "rotation" for about 4 hours and it was the only swimbait to get bit today. I landed a dinky 3 lber, had a 5+ come un-buttoned and lost an even bigger fish (more on that in negatives). Also had several follows. All fish came when blind casting and on steady retrieve and were not actively schooling fish, which is a key indicator that it will continue to produce on my lake.

Negatives: The 5 inch bait comes with 1X size 6 (I think) Owners. I lost the biggest fish I hooked today when it bent out both trebles. I really should have noticed the thin wire hooks before. After that I replaced the front hook with a 2X size 4 and it seemed to swim just as well, but will be getting some 2X size 6's to put on it.

Overall I'm impressed and plan to get a back-up 5" and a 7" and will keep the clacker in the regular rotation.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. Took clacker out again last weekend for about 2 hours and caught 3 "average" fish. Took it out again today for 3.5 hrs, caught 5 fish including this chunky 4+. Usually wouldn't bother with a pic for anything under 5, but lost the 2 big fish I hooked in the above post and wanted something to back up the report. Have had several other hits each time out. 5" Bait flat gets bit if looking for numbers, and time will tell if it can also consistently interest the big ones (and if I can get them INTO the boat).

post-297-14252988891026_thumb.jpg