Reel Troubles with Casting

BamaChild

I recently started throwing bait that weigh more than 3 oz. I have a Diawa Millionaire reel and a rod that is capable. My only issue is that when I cast I have a hard time keeping my thumb on the spool, it slips out from under my thumb. Is this just me being weak or is the reel just not able to handle the weight? It isn't really in my budget to get a different reel so I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks guys.

It probably not from being weak but you just have to put more pressure on the spool. If you're not familiar with throwing 3 is and heavier baits it can seem a bit much at first but you just get accustomed to it. I keep my reels set very loose and rely on my thumb most but you might want to tighten your spool up a bit until you get used to it. Good luck!

Might depend on how you hold the reel while casting. My hand palms the reel and the base of my thumb rest on the round part near the thumb bar (Calcutta conquest). Works real well for me because I run my reels pretty loose like Will so it’s thumb a little over half the cast.