I don't understand Pats......

JoshPerkins802

10 hours ago, waynem said:

Injection molding bodies is the true mass production method with much less labor, but none of those builders mentioned is using that method for hard baits.

YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Wait a few months     :ChimpShakingHead:

Wayne makes a good point as I have tried to duplicate both with many hours of effort and still can't get the baits to come out the way they should.

Lets just say that all makers of swimbaits  have invested a good chunk of their time to come up with good baits no matter how they are made.  

My hat off to anyone making a good swimbait from start to finish.

Edited by kenneyfish

4 hours ago, NEbucketmouth19 said:

Injection molding aint cheap, for these garage makers it's pretty far out of their budget scope I would assume. 

$20K  and  your bait cost are under $4 each plus hooks.  And every style is another $15K  .  I say hand whittle is gonna be around a while.:grin:     Looks like $250 is a bargain :grin:

Edited by billyo

On 4/29/2018 at 7:47 PM, waynem said:

Jeff- I've talked to guys that make saltwater plugs.  They tell me that turning a body on a lathe is pretty much the same amount of work.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:47 PM, waynem said:

Jeff- I've talked to guys that make saltwater plugs.  They tell me that turning a body on a lathe is pretty mu

From what I know. They're not turned on a lathe. Maybe I'm getting confused. He also makes other shape Pat's(Snack,perch, bluegill) that are much more in demand and definitely not turned on a lathe. Maybe the round ones are but from what I have read they're not.

7 hours ago, David R said:

From what I know. They're not turned on a lathe. Maybe I'm getting confused. He also makes other shape Pat's(Snack,perch, bluegill) that are much more in demand and definitely not turned on a lathe. Maybe the round ones are but from what I have read they're not.

Obviously you don't use a lathe to make a gill shaped bait.  My point is that builders using composite materials (like Azek) use exactly the same tools as you would using wood.  If you ever built a deck using Azek you use the same saws, drills, routers, etc that you would use on wood.  Not a great deal of difference in tools or labor.   Check out the Tackle Underground forum if you want more information.  BTW if anyone wants to try building with composite lumber make sure you do NOT use a polyethylene-based material like Trex.  You need to use a PVC based material like Azek.

People are free to fish whatever baits they want.  Been at this for 50 years and I haven't found a "magic" bait yet.

2 hours ago, waynem said:

Obviously you don't use a lathe to make a gill shaped bait.  My point is that builders using composite materials (like Azek) use exactly the same tools as you would using wood.  If you ever built a deck using Azek you use the same saws, drills, routers, etc that you would use on wood.  Not a great deal of difference in tools or labor.   Check out the Tackle Underground forum if you want more information.  BTW if anyone wants to try building with composite lumber make sure you do NOT use a polyethylene-based material like Trex.  You need to use a PVC based material like Azek.

People are free to fish whatever baits they want.  Been at this for 50 years and I haven't found a "magic" bait yet.

Trex sinks like a stone. Been there, done that lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 4:55 PM, waynem said:

The Pats baits typically (there are exceptions) run deeper than a Slammer.  Slammers are wooden baits while the Pats is made from a composite.  The fat Pat bait that a buddy has is roughly the same size as a 9" three piece slammer yet weighs 0.98 oz more.  The Pats rises slower and (often) runs deeper because the body is made of a denser material.  The joints are tighter than a slammer so the action is tighter.

I own both baits and also the Toxic Wake & Crank and the Pizz Riot.  If the Pats were readily available at the "retail" price of $75 it would be a good bait to have.  However everyone knows that is not the case.  These days I generally use a Toxic Wake & Crank in the situations where I formerly used a Pats.  It has a similar density but much more natural profile and colors.  In the past 2 seasons I have caught more big fish on the W&C than I have in 5 seasons with the Pats.  And Ceaser doesn't make you jump through hoops to get one.

We New Englanders are a provincial bunch- after all the Mayflower landed here didn't it.  If the Pats bait was made in Ohio I suspect it would not be "magic" here.  You can also impress more friends by saying "I own a Pats" then you can by saying "I own a Slammer" and that is apparently pretty important to some people.  Just my 2 cents.

I’ll take that pats off your hands for ya. Trade you a toxic wake n crank straight up for it. Dead serious.