Daiwa Reels & the Daiwa Tatula 200 HD

Lefty76

Have any of you ever used a Daiwa Tatula 200 HD for swimbait fishing? 

I don’t know anything about Daiwa reels.

How do I they compare to Shimano?

I have an old Curado CU200 and that is only Japanese reel I have used.

I am about to dive into the swimbait game and will try to get by with two old 5500C3 reels.  I am concerned casting distance  may be an issue.

Regards,

Chris

This is my first year investing into the big swimbait world. My first two bait casters were $70 abu garcia black max and $100 lews combos. This past winter i took the plunge and invested into swimbait tackle and gear. Keep in mind, i was (and am) always on a budget. I was able to pick up both my rod and reel on sale. I went with a Okuma guide select XH rod with a daiwa tatula 200HD reel. So far i love this reel. Very smooth and very quiet. I fish 20LB PLine CX copolymer line. My current bait inventory consist of 8" hudds (2 ROF12 and 1ROF5), a Real Prey 7" shiner (2.5 OZ), a 9" slammer, and a 6.5" gantarel (2.5OZ). The biggerst / heaviest i have thrown on it is a 9.5" Baitsanity Trout Explorer which is 5oz. Only reason i got rid of the glide was to trade for the MS Slammer. IMO my setup threw this great. I dont feel concerned one bit about throwing big baits with this reel. I get great casting distance as well. Maybe someone else can correct me, but i feel that throwing big baits is more about having the right rod than the right reel for the most part. 

I will say that there are many people that have talked good about the Lexa 300. For me, i was on a budget and was about 99% sure i was going to go with the Shimano Cardiff. Then a deal popped up on ebay for the Tatula 200HD and i couldnt resist ($90 brand new shipped). The lexa is in a whole different price category. 

• 1 month later...

I have Lexa 300’s which are great . I also have the Luna 300 and Luna 253. I love the Luna 253 for slow waking and the Lexa’s For burning s-swimmers. The Luna is a 5:1 (both sizes). My Lexas are 6.3:1.

I also have the Daiwa TW Coastal which is a saltwater version of the Tatula 200. I love this one. It has oversized handles.. plus crbb bearings for salt. Very versatile. Use it for all kinds of stuff. A bit fast retrieve tho.

I would use the Lexa 300 or Luna 300 for a 4 oz bait.

Edited by mike h
Add text

I use a Tatula 200 HD for smaller treble hook baits (Slammers, S-Wavers, Hardgills etc.) with 20lb P-Line PF. I love it and it casts great. I do use a Lexa 300 for Hudds though. Only Shimano reel I can compare to is a Cardiff, and I bought the Tatula to replace the Cardiff but I don't think it's fair to compare the two directly. 

I have the tatula hd, the heaviest lure I have is 3oz. It's my first year getting into it. I'm a big fan of the tatula hd very smooth and I like the 100mm handle.  Haven't had any Shimano so can't comment on that.

Edited by AverageJoe

I switched daiwa exclusively a few years back.  Personal preference because shimano are top notch also.  I have used the 200 for almost every application when i throw braid.  If i need lots of mono or floro i switch to the 300 for the line capacity.  Comparing shimano and daiwa is splitting hairs and 100% personal preference in my opinion.  

Honestly, I'm using some older 200 sized Shimano (Citica 200d and a Cruxis) reels right now, price was right and all. The Tat HD was what I was going to get, but these fell into my lap. You could do far worse than your 5500C3 Ambassadeurs though. They're rock solid and will cast forever if everything is setup properly.