1 - 2 Step: Geoffrey Hamilton

SU News

• SU News

In the rise of the whole Social Media fishing craze, I have seen many good things come from it but just as many bad things as well. Over the years of posting pictures and videos all over the internet, I have met some amazing and like-minded fisherman that love to pursue and chase these fascinating creatures. In recent times though, I have begun to realize that there are fisherman that spend more time focusing on what you're doing/throwing rather than them having to figure out what may or may not work for their style of fishing.

My whole philosophy these days is this, you have to stay 1 step ahead of the fish and 2 steps ahead of the fishermen. What I mean by that is, outsmarting the fish in the first place by getting a decent understanding of how the fish are behaving in certain situations and figuring out how the fish want a bait presented to them correctly in order for those fish to feel comfortable in hitting your bait. The fishermen part is where I will see what everyone is all hyped up about or see what the majority of the other fishermen are throwing at certain times. I try to separate myself from the other fishermen by throwing baits that are completely different than what everyone else is throwing.

For example, if I see 5 guys throwing a 250 in a single day, I try to stay away from throwing a 250 or any similar style bait just because I feel like those fish are constantly seeing the same thing go over their heads but as soon as they see something that swims differently, or has a different profile, or is just in the right area, those fish will commit a lot more.

What I tell some of the upcoming guys that want to throw the swimbaits is to figure things out on their own, experiment and don't get caught up in the latest hype bait, and lastly, if they happen to get something figured out, hold on to it, try not posting up so much on social media because people will try to get information off of them and may end up chewing off their own pattern that they put together. Even lying about a few details doesn't hurt to throw the internet fishermen off their game.

About the author: Geoffrey Hamilton is an Arizona based fisherman, spending his time chasing giant largemouth bass at many of the lakes in the desert. He is a longtime Swimbait Underground member and has a very informative YouTube channel. He continues to grow as an angler and member of the fishing community. Be sure to check out his SU Profile, Instagram, and YouTube Channel.

View full record

Just a little narcissistic. Humility is a good attribute to possess. Self proclaimed king.. lol. Not a hater here at all, but not a fan of elitist vibes. Good luck on the quest for a 10

9 hours ago, Guest Boob said:

Just a little narcissistic. Humility is a good attribute to possess. Self proclaimed king.. lol. Not a hater here at all, but not a fan of elitist vibes. Good luck on the quest for a 10

love that someone has to login as a guest to throw shade

lots of guys throw swimbaits, not a lot of them throw them well. Even fewer are able to produce content to spread their experiences. keep it up Geoff

2 hours ago, northeast_trev said:

love that someone has to login as a guest to throw shade

lots of guys throw swimbaits, not a lot of them throw them well. Even fewer are able to produce content to spread their experiences. keep it up Geoff

What’s strange is yesterday that didn’t say guest it was a registered user

11 hours ago, Guest Boob said:

Well I'm neither a catfish, nor evil, so I guess I suck too

oh and I love Geoffrey's videos, very enthusiastic attitude and entertaining 

I really don't get this advice. If this was taken to a T and everyone was A, avoiding using what everyone else was using and B, lying about what baits they're using, wouldn't people be avoiding baits that other people didn't actually use rendering the entire thing useless? Lol. Either way I don't mind being honest about what baits I'm using, techniques whatever. If it happens to help a guy out, I'm happy for him

1 hour ago, Willluvstafish said:

I really don't get this advice. If this was taken to a T and everyone was A, avoiding using what everyone else was using and B, lying about what baits they're using, wouldn't people be avoiding baits that other people didn't actually use rendering the entire thing useless? Lol. Either way I don't mind being honest about what baits I'm using, techniques whatever. If it happens to help a guy out, I'm happy for him

Having the entire swimbait community agree on something to a T is actually impossible, you proved it yourself, you disagreed with what I had to express and that is fine. What I wrote wasn't meant for everyone to drop everything and resort to my ways/methods. If you love helping out guys and telling people where and what you're throwing, more power to you. My whole thing was to get others to think about their approach to different things and to see if adjusting could net them different results.

I do the 2 - 1 step, I think it's much more important to stay 2 steps ahead of the fish and then worry about the fishermen. I credit the big largies far more intelligence then I credit 98% of the people targeting them on a given day. 

Will, I think he's speaking of more of an approach of just standing out and setting your baits apart from the rest that the fish see daily on pressured waters like ours, but it's also very disheartening when one guy see's what you're doing that's yielding success, and then goes out and conditions your fish to be uncatchable on that pattern by trying it for himself and blowing spots. Competitive water doesn't give you quite as much freedom to share info with the other's on the water. Never trying to be a dick, just put too much heart and soul (and gas $) to give away bites we earn for ourselves. 

That being said, you better get your new boat all set up if you're planning on staying 2 steps ahead of me King :P