Triple Trout help

NEbucketmouth19

I recently picked up my first two Triple Trouts (6" and an 8") and have been pretty frustrated trying to fish them honestly. Maybe I've been too aggressive with them but the hooks (currently stock) seem to foul on probably 25% of my casts, either with themselves or with the line (I'm using P-Line PF 20lb). My standard retrieve thus far has been a moderate pace and then a short fast burst and then kill it for a second when it passes near cover, repeat. Are you guys fishing them differently or have any suggestions on how I can reduce fouling? I've considered downsizing the hooks but haven't yet. 

A quick and easy fix might be: When you make your cast, mid way put very light thumb pressure on the spool and this will re-orient the bait. This should straighten the bait so when it lands it should not grab the line and hopefully the hooks don't grab each other. I fish my 12" heavy triple trout straight braid and never get caught, the hooks are huge too. 

1 hour ago, Neill Hernandez said:

A quick and easy fix might be: When you make your cast, mid way put very light thumb pressure on the spool and this will re-orient the bait. This should straighten the bait so when it lands it should not grab the line and hopefully the hooks don't grab each other. I fish my 12" heavy triple trout straight braid and never get caught, the hooks are huge too. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried this and while it does fix any initial fouling, what I am referring to is more during the retrieve. When I make the bait kick out to the side during a retrieve, usually by burning it for a short time and then pausing and letting it either go off to the side, or turn around.

I'm going to continue making small adjustments to how I fish them but I just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this and has some advice. 

Can you tell if its fouling on the cast or during the retrieve? If its on splashdown, are the hooks stock? He uses extra short shank KVD triple grips, which are light for my taste, but when replacing them you may need to go down a size or 2. If it's twitch or rip/pause related, bigpoppabass said it perfectly. Too aggressive and a TT will go from being seductive and erratic, to crumpled and upside-down in a jiffy. Once you get the touch down with how much rod and reel to use, you'll notice that gentle and fluid is better. I rarely throw slack into the line, as one can with lipped baits or single-joints. 

That being said, each size TT is it's own different bait, and the same touch won't be ideal for all. The bigger, the more you can jerk it around without fouling. I have a 5" that I basically only use the reel to work, but my 8" stubby and 10" I sweep the rod down some so I don't have to pop the reel as hard

I only have one 6" TT and not a whole lot of fish on it so i'm no expert but pausing it during the retrieve has caused it to foul on numerous occasions. I know the guy who designed the original and he said it was designed as a straight retrieve style bait so that's all I do now and I've had less issues.

Edited by Zigtherat

My

On 7/24/2018 at 5:25 PM, NEbucketmouth19 said:

I recently picked up my first two Triple Trouts (6" and an 8") and have been pretty frustrated trying to fish them honestly. Maybe I've been too aggressive with them but the hooks (currently stock) seem to foul on probably 25% of my casts, either with themselves or with the line (I'm using P-Line PF 20lb). My standard retrieve thus far has been a moderate pace and then a short fast burst and then kill it for a second when it passes near cover, repeat. Are you guys fishing them differently or have any suggestions on how I can reduce fouling? I've considered downsizing the hooks but haven't yet. 

My buddy has a 6” triple trout and hammers bass on it. Whenever I go with him he’s using it until he broke off on a fish. Anyways, he just does a strait retrieve and it looks money. If I were u I would just play around with retrieves and see which one works best