Canyon Lake, CA?

kev_swmbt_20

Does anyone have any information on Canyon lake? Is it open to the public? I read somewhere that you have to know a resident in the community and that you can only have 1 rod on your person or something I am not sure. I am trying to fish some new water in SoCal, and have heard about canyon lake. I have been fishing all over San Diego and I want to hit some lakes in the LA area, I know of Castaic but I was wondering about any other decent lakes up there. Any info helps.

I'm sure u know of perris, skinner and diamond? If not, definitely hit up those lakes. 

I've been to canyon years and years ago. Back then u can just go fish there but I don't even remember how to get to that spot. 

Edited by SumoNinja

8 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

I'm sure u know of perris, skinner and diamond? If not, definitely hit up those lakes. 

I've been to canyon years and years ago. Back then u can just go fish there but I don't even remember how to get to that spot. 

I know of those three but I’ve only fished diamond valley of the three. As far as skinner and perris what type of water and structure is there? Is it a deep lake is it rocky or mainly shallow grass or both? Haha I’m Just trying to get a good idea of what type of fishing would be best up there. Thanks for the help 

If you've never been to skinner or perris, definitely hit those before canyon 

Skinner is less rocky in general except for the dam, which u can't access anyways. There are coves with cat tails and such. Not too grassy but I'm least familiar with skinner.

Perris has the dam which is now accessible again, full of boulders of course. Then there are the rocky points along the north side between the beach areas.  On east side there are bushes and brush and trees, some fully or partially submerged.  

They are very different from diamond. Diamond has a ton of bushes and trees that grew during the years the water level was way low and are now submerged 

At perris, around the island and east side are popular spots to fish from boats. But really u can go to south side or dam or any of the points and fish for bass 

Edited by SumoNinja

2 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

At perris, around the island and east side are popular spots to fish from boats. But really u can go to south side or dam or any of the points and fish for bass 

Just now, SumoNinja said:

Do some finesse fishing if the swimbaits aren't working. If you're fishing into the dusk hours, busy out the swimbaits 

Ok awesome brother sounds good I appreciate the info! I’ll be looking into going within the next couple weeks and I’ll let you know how it goes.

You need to fish with a resident and buy a fishing permit as a non resident if you fish Canyon Lake.  I fished it once when I got invited by a nice guy who lives in the neighborhood.  Got a few bites and a slap on my gantarel there last year.  Lots of boat docks you can toss your baits at. 

Skinner is a nice little lake but I've yet to get any on the swimbaits there. I did have a big 5lb follower on my pizz beef glide when I was fishing the inlet.  There are striped bass and some big bass that hang out near the inlet.   But because they have trout plants still during the winter, I would still try to hit up that lake this fall/winter.

Perris can be tough.  I've fished it a few times but the island is a good place to start.  They're still adding water to the lake to bring the water level back up I believe which may affect the bite as I believe the bass are now discovering new structure to hang out on.

6 hours ago, MTPanda said:

You need to fish with a resident and buy a fishing permit as a non resident if you fish Canyon Lake.  I fished it once when I got invited by a nice guy who lives in the neighborhood.  Got a few bites and a slap on my gantarel there last year.  Lots of boat docks you can toss your baits at. 

Skinner is a nice little lake but I've yet to get any on the swimbaits there. I did have a big 5lb follower on my pizz beef glide when I was fishing the inlet.  There are striped bass and some big bass that hang out near the inlet.   But because they have trout plants still during the winter, I would still try to hit up that lake this fall/winter.

Perris can be tough.  I've fished it a few times but the island is a good place to start.  They're still adding water to the lake to bring the water level back up I believe which may affect the bite as I believe the bass are now discovering new structure to hang out on.

Thanks for the tips man I appreciate it!

15 hours ago, kev_swmbt_20 said:

Thanks for the tips man I appreciate it!

No prob.  Hope you get some on the swimbaits!  I like to fish all over So Cal as well and have been to almost every lake near me, almost.

Don't forget Lake Jennings has night fishing on Fri and Sat nights till midnight.  Might be a good time to go toss some big swimbaits under the cover of night.

8 hours ago, MTPanda said:

No prob.  Hope you get some on the swimbaits!  I like to fish all over So Cal as well and have been to almost every lake near me, almost.

Don't forget Lake Jennings has night fishing on Fri and Sat nights till midnight.  Might be a good time to go toss some big swimbaits under the cover of night.

Oh man that’s right I remember going there at night as a kid and catching catfish all night and eventually I started throwing like 10” plastics and slaying some bass when I was like 13 before I had a boat. That might be a good place to check out too I didn’t even think of that!