finally a swimbait fish!!!

will hughes

today I finally got a bass on the 6in triple trout in a custom painted blue gill color. Its nov. In michigan and its freezing the water is in the low to mid 40's at most. I just got the bait recently and wanted to test swim it at the local lake. I was casting it into a clear water pocket of of the wind next to a drainage pipe. I did not think anything of the spot just knew with the clear water I would be able to see the bait better. I casted it to the drainage pipe when I was about to cast I got bored and eight trapped it. Half way through the 8 trapp a 2 ish pounder came up and smoked it! Its good to know that my last/one of my last open water fish this year was a swimbait fish. (sorry for bad pictures it was dumping out) 

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

YES, awesome!!!  Way to get it done at the end of the season, I just did the exact same thing last night--finally cracked the 5lb mark and it was on a swimbait, my last trip of the season (I'm in Chicago, so same as you, damn near freezing and temps about to drop into highs in the low 30s.  Congrats man, I know the feeling of vindication from sticking with it is amazing.

16 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

YES, awesome!!!  Way to get it done at the end of the season, I just did the exact same thing last night--finally cracked the 5lb mark and it was on a swimbait, my last trip of the season (I'm in Chicago, so same as you, damn near freezing and temps about to drop into highs in the low 30s.  Congrats man, I know the feeling of vindication from sticking with it is amazing.

nothing like jigging huddlestons through the ice hahaha

Edited by will hughes

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 10:22 AM, will hughes said:

nothing like jigging huddlestons through the ice hahaha

I’ve tried that a few times - Lakers will come and look them over but don’t whack them.

Nice job on the late-season bass - the ponds and small lakes around here are getting skim ice each morning. I might try breaking through one final time with the ‘toon.

35 minutes ago, FishDr said:

I’ve tried that a few times - Lakers will come and look them over but don’t whack them.

Nice job on the late-season bass - the ponds and small lakes around here are getting skim ice each morning. I might try breaking through one final time with the ‘toon.

Same thing here’s all my canals have about a inch but I just landed in Florida!!! 

• 2 weeks later...