Custom Paint/ Repaint???

jamespledger239

^^^JCBass's comment makes complete sense to me. It's all about risk and if you are willing to risk the loss of a warranty and incur the extra cost if something happens, then that is your choice. I personally don't think that you need to do anything to Mickey's baits (and I am still new, so I know my opinion means next to nothing at this point), but I also understand that a custom paint job can be a confidence booster to some people.

For me, especially being a new guy, the warranty is VERY important. More likely than not I will do something stupid and something will happen where I need to take advantage of the warranty. So Thanks Mickey, for the warranty!

^^^JCBass's comment makes complete sense to me. It's all about risk and if you are willing to risk the loss of a warranty and incur the extra cost if something happens, then that is your choice. I personally don't think that you need to do anything to Mickey's baits (and I am still new, so I know my opinion means next to nothing at this point), but I also understand that a custom paint job can be a confidence booster to some people.

For me, especially being a new guy, the warranty is VERY important. More likely than not I will do something stupid and something will happen where I need to take advantage of the warranty. So Thanks Mickey, for the warranty!

+1

Fish dont eat a paint job!

That is a great quote and well said.

Personally, my lures that are all marked up are the ones I have the best luck with,

True that. I'm sure all of us can relate with our "marked up" lures effectiveness.

Yet, here is another thought Justin---from the fishes eyes:

Do fish know that your lures are "marked up"?...or just Different?

Do fish know if your lures paint is different because Mickey made it different,

OR....because teeth/wear marks made them "different" paint/scales scheme?

Isn't your "Marked up" lures, uniquely custom-----YOURS? 8-)

Isn't it a good theory that our "Marked up lures---are indeed the most

"custom" paint jobs of all, because no two marked-up lures are the same?

And also, if someone's "custom" color or in your case Marked up color; gives more

confidence (a huge factor); then wouldn't it indeed make "custom" worth it?

Again, for my 3:16 baits, I do not let people paint them. No need.

And also, Ben warned me about weight-balance,etc.

I don't profess to know these things, but these are questions I ask myself :D

-R

Well said Richard but...................................................................................I yet to see the pay off for the custom paint with the fish reports!

Personally I added the Sissy color to my line up for the simple fact that I painted a freestyle bass pink because the water at the time I was testing was dirty and white didn't show up all that well! Boy did I get a surprise!!! Caught a lot of 6 to 10 pound bass! One of my favorite colors now too!

Not to bash on guys that want to customize there baits!!!Hey If you can show me a color that flat out gets bit I'd look into offering it. But I've yet to see any reason to add to the line up.

Most important...... After seeing some of the crap guys are doing when they repaint it pisses me off so bad that there is no way I'm gonna get involved in any warranty stuff. I know almost all the other bait makers feel the same!The ones that don't just plain don't care!!!Either way I stand firm with my decision!

+2, and...

....Mickey, your baits are the ONLY baits that I do not ever think needs repaint.

You're the only lure maker that I know that has the talent to custom paint

Harley's-----THAT is serious work. SERIOUS.

Many of my friends are Harley guys-----VERY picky.

-R

Paint is fun. I'm sure any good lure will catch them regardless of the finish. I bet you a lot of baitmakers catch plenty on their raw urethane blanks right out of the mold. Its the most durable paint scheme going. I'm conflicted as everyone because although I believe color doesn't matter I still have my favorites for different situations and everyone I talk to seems to be the same. We say it doesn't matter but we still make choices on what we want to fish and thats fun. Perhaps someday a color so powerfully attractive will be stumbled on that will make all other colors obsolete but I sure agree that its 99.99999 percent action and profile. There's still that .1111 percent to consider though.... ;)

I remember meeting Allan Cole 15 years or more ago late one night fishing at Silverwood. He rolled up on a bike and looked at me throwing a shad pattern mini ac plug. He said, "You need to throw the big ones 9 or 12 inchers...your wasting your time right now these fish want trout". I said "trout pattern" and he said, "Color don't matter". I never forgot that and I believe he's right. I still fish trout patterns when there's trout in the water. Makies me happy.

JK

Well thanks man! I like building baits a lot more though!

To each his own! One of the reasons I love Cali is we always have a lot of variety!!!

You should try Iowa! We have lots of variety..........well, varieties of corn anyway ;)

So let me get this straight, you have the money for a ferrari, but they only have one in red? You want a black one? So instead of waiting for the right one to come along, you buy the ferrari, and send it to earl the pearl :lol: wtf? I have yet to see baits with a better finish than what Mick puts on em.

Buy the bait and fish the hell out of it. When all the paint is gone, fish will still eat it. I promise you that.

Fish dont eat a paint job! Period end of story! They eat profile and action! If you cant get the bait you want....wait for it. Dont go f,in up a great bait by putting some stupid paint job on it. I guarantee you a fish is gonna eat every color mickey makes!

Arent we trying to catch big fish here? If the color you find doesnt match what you think the fish are eating, try it any ways. And I dont mean fish it for an hour. I mean go spend a season fishing that bait and I bet you will be surprised with what happens.

Its not for a 3 16 bait... I don't really know why every one just figured it was? It would be for my tripple trout that has been destroyed by bowfin, gar, pikrill and just about every other toothy critter in Florida... I know that its just a TT and i can buy a new one for not that much one but this is my lucky bait (I know you all have a go to bait).But it is just not performing the way it got tore up in okechobee.

Colby, please don't insult me ! I know what Im talking about! There was another time Brock painted a real deal and put to much clear which caused the mouth and joints to lock up. Then the bait was sold to a kid who was asking me if I could fix it! I've seen paint peel off in layers ect ect.! I don't care if you or anyone else gets there baits custom painted!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT I WILL ONLY WARRANTY STOCK BAITS!!!!!

Side note............... If you go on swimbaitcity.com a local tackle retailer that sells a lot of RAGO BAITS also just listed the same disclaimer as me.

I'll apologize if I came off as insulting Mickey, my bad.

Spoke to Brock, and since he can't defend himself here, It's been over 4 years since that bait was painted, he said he has since changed to all automotive paint etc, and backs his work 100%. If you want fish pics on some custom paint check out his blog.

I respect your entitlement to change the warranty on your baits fully, I just dont want Hiroshima to get a bad wrap considering his recent work & updated systems. I fish his paint with no problems whatsoever. Hopefully people will understand im not trying to take jabs, just speaking for someone who no longer has a voice here.

Fish dont eat a paint job!

That is a great quote and well said.

Personally, my lures that are all marked up are the ones I have the best luck with,

True that. I'm sure all of us can relate with our "marked up" lures effectiveness.

Yet, here is another thought Justin---from the fishes eyes:

Do fish know that your lures are "marked up"?...or just Different?

Do fish know if your lures paint is different because Mickey made it different,

OR....because teeth/wear marks made them "different" paint/scales scheme?

Isn't your "Marked up" lures, uniquely custom-----YOURS? 8-)

Isn't it a good theory that our "Marked up lures---are indeed the most

"custom" paint jobs of all, because no two marked-up lures are the same?

And also, if someone's "custom" color or in your case Marked up color; gives more

confidence (a huge factor); then wouldn't it indeed make "custom" worth it?

Again, for my 3:16 baits, I do not let people paint them. No need.

And also, Ben warned me about weight-balance,etc.

I don't profess to know these things, but these are questions I ask myself :D

-R

Thanks for the reply, you are definitely a critical thinker and I enjoyed reading your response. Sorry for being rude/judgmental in the other thread as I believe I took what was written out of context then jumped to conclusions. For that I apologize.

I don't think it is the marks or the paint on the bait, as Dick Thompson said, it's more the profile,action as well as right place, right time. After all, my beat up lures were once nice and shinny with perfect paint when I first started using them. They got beat up cause they get bit a lot and my confidence comes from the amount of fish I caught on those lures.

The marks are just proof that the lure works, the action/profile is what I believe helps get them bit. Am I saying that color/contrast isn't important, no, but I feel it is less significant than the action/profile. What brought me to this conclusion is that I have baits that went from a bait fish pattern paint scheme to almost completely bare white epoxy (from toothy critters)and they continued to work with equal success to when they were new.

Having said that, I have seen some really cool paint jobs that impressed me. What ever gives you confidence, go for it.

Justin Wrote:

"Thanks for the reply, you are definitely a critical thinker and I enjoyed reading your response. Sorry for being rude/judgmental in the other thread as I believe I took what was written out of context then jumped to conclusions. For that I apologize.

I don't think it is the marks or the paint on the bait, as Dick Thompson said, it's more the profile,action as well as right place, right time. After all, my beat up lures were once nice and shinny with perfect paint when I first started using them. They got beat up cause they get bit a lot and my confidence comes from the amount of fish I caught on those lures.

The marks are just proof that the lure works, the action/profile is what I believe helps get them bit. Am I saying that color/contrast isn't important, no, but I feel it is less significant than the action/profile. What brought me to this conclusion is that I have baits that went from a bait fish pattern paint scheme to almost completely bare white epoxy (from toothy critters)and they continued to work with equal success to when they were new.

Having said that, I have seen some really cool paint jobs that impressed me. What ever gives you confidence, go for it.

"

Justin, appreciate your acknowledgement :) And, it takes one to know one :D

You're very thoughtful... There was no "rudeness" taken from your part.

Like many critical thinkers here---we'd rather have a factual, yet spirited

debate vs as Mickey artfully says, "non-variety..." :lol:

As for your point that you think it is first about profile/action. I totally agree! And

nothing I've said here on this thread has countered that.

My point focused on; Stock Paint vs Custom Paint---is it worth the repaint?

In that regard, and that regard only:

I've found it interesting to me, to ask myself, "does the fish know what is 'new and shiny' in a lure?" My answer is: NO. That would require knowledge that fish don't have.

..."does the fish know what is 'old' or 'perfect' in a lure?" My answer again is, NO.

Again, that would require judgement skills and knowledge that fish don't have.

So what has kept me to (not to repaint) my old, imperfect fish catch'n

confidence lures is that; I've come to realize that my "old, imperfect, marked-up" lures---are actually indeed custom paint jobs. Custom painted by the fish, time, rocks... :lol:

Appreciate your input man!

-R

Funny how it was assumed to be a 3:16 repaint. Guy didn't even mention 3:16. :lol: . Now 4 pages later of a THREAD JACK.

Try Pizz custom, Hiroshima Customs, Baitwerk, etc. They all do sweet work. You cant go wrong with any of those choices.

Funny how it was assumed to be a 3:16 repaint. Guy didn't even mention 3:16. :lol: . Now 4 pages later of a THREAD JACK.

Try Pizz custom, Hiroshima Customs, Baitwerk, etc. They all do sweet work. You cant go wrong with any of those choices.

And still no fish on the custom paints! :lol::lol::lol:

I could care less how many fish are caught on custom/repainted baits. That's not what the OP asked. So stick to the topic or start your own hater thread. ;)