Australia trip - what should I bring?

FishDr

I have the good fortune to have an upcoming work trip to Australia and I have managed to carve out some time for a bit of fishing with one of my best friends who lives in Sydney.  I lived in Sydney a while back and have some idea of what we'll be fishing for and how to fish for them, but that was during my "preswimbait" days, so I'm hoping some of the Aussies on SU can provide me with some advice on what lures I ought to bring - I'd love to stick a fish or two on swimbaits while I'm down there.  We will be fishing two areas.

• Around Sydney harbor - this will be saltwater/estuary fishing and we will likely be targeting flathead, maybe some tailor and mulloway.  I was planning on bringing some Big Hammers and a couple of the 6"  BBZ-1s to fish on the flats.  Should I also bring a glide like an S-waver?
  • Around Albury.  This is the part that has me really excited.  One of the people I'll be working with is going to take me out after Murray cod and I'm so psyched that I'm already bouncing off the walls.  I know the most spectacular YouTube videos show Murray cod blasting big lures on top, but there seem to be a lot caught on big soft plastics and swimbaits as well.  I have to bring the 7" and 9" Slammers in original and X2 configurations because, well, catching a Murray cod on a Slammer would be the bees knees.  I've also got a selection of 7" Rising sons (bottom hook, top hook, and weedless), a couple of the big Warbaits spinnerbaits, and the aforementioned Big Hammers.  I thought I could also toss in a G2 shellcracker and perhaps my modified OG shellcracker (added a lip to it).

If you were me, what else would you bring?  Also, my friend is going to drive down to Albury for the weekend and bring his 14-year old son with him.  His son's only freshwater fish ever was a trout he caught while ice-fishing here in Colorado during one of their visits.  It would make the trip if we could somehow get him to land a Murray cod.  I know nothing about the Albury area, so if you happen to know of a couple of spots where we might be able to get the kid into a cod, please PM me - if he can land one, I'll be grinning all the way back to the US.

Thanks SU!

I think bullshad actually has a couple guys that fish them exclusively for murray cod. Might be worth a message on IG to Triton Mike. He may be able to put you in contact with them. I also think he shares quite a few of the Aussies that catch them. So you may be able to do a little recon to find them.

Okay, I think I've got it all laid out.  In addition to the swimbaits, I'm bringing some conventional gear (and even some spinning gear) because my friends want to do some light tackle action as well.  No complaints here.

Here's the arsenal that's going.  I had to make sure I could fit all the lures into a pair of deep 3600 series boxes, so I couldn't bring everything.  Still, I reckon I've got a good selection and hopefully will get a chance to pin a fish or two on my favorites - the Slammers!

235831468_AussieArsenal.jpg.d35e238bc51750b8e2e5ee3696064921.jpg

On 11/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, FishDr said:

Okay, I think I've got it all laid out.  In addition to the swimbaits, I'm bringing some conventional gear (and even some spinning gear) because my friends want to do some light tackle action as well.  No complaints here.

Here's the arsenal that's going.  I had to make sure I could fit all the lures into a pair of deep 3600 series boxes, so I couldn't bring everything.  Still, I reckon I've got a good selection and hopefully will get a chance to pin a fish or two on my favorites - the Slammers!

235831468_AussieArsenal.jpg.d35e238bc51750b8e2e5ee3696064921.jpg

Check to be sure your rod case doesn't exceed the airline's length for overhead storage.  There is nothing worse than getting to your destination to find out they lost or stole your tackle in transit.  I try never to let the rods & reels get checked if I can help it.  On small planes that may not be possible.  I have a couple of expensive Sage fly rods I often bring on trips but I pack them in a plain rod case that doesn't advertise that they are Sage.  I've been on trips where my friends had their Sage labelled cases stolen while my no-name case wasn't touched.

6 hours ago, waynem said:

Check to be sure your rod case doesn't exceed the airline's length for overhead storage.  There is nothing worse than getting to your destination to find out they lost or stole your tackle in transit.  I try never to let the rods & reels get checked if I can help it.  On small planes that may not be possible.  I have a couple of expensive Sage fly rods I often bring on trips but I pack them in a plain rod case that doesn't advertise that they are Sage.  I've been on trips where my friends had their Sage labelled cases stolen while my no-name case wasn't touched.

You make a good point - when I travel with fishing gear, the rods and reels stay with me (assuming they're travel rods).  I have traveled and checked rod cases before but I'm always happier when they are with me.  I didn't really want the Sage-branded but I couldn't find an alternative multi-rod case in the right size.

Awesome Chris!! Can’t wait to hear the stories and pictures. 

Looks like some good gear going, little bit of everything. 

Last year when I went to Mexico. No problems carrying a traveling rod from the states to Mexico. They made me check it on the way back. Security said no go on traveling fishing rods... opened the book and everything. Had to walk back to the gate wait in line to check a 4 piece travel rod. Sucked bad 

12 hours ago, Boondock said:

Last year when I went to Mexico. No problems carrying a traveling rod from the states to Mexico. They made me check it on the way back. Security said no go on traveling fishing rods... opened the book and everything. Had to walk back to the gate wait in line to check a 4 piece travel rod. Sucked bad 

That's interesting - I've been to both Costa Rica and Spain twice with travel rods in their cases and there wasn't an issue.  I guess it just depends on the country and/or the day.  I'm hoping TSA is having a good day tomorrow, and that the Aussie equivalent has a good day in a couple of weeks.

I will definitely be posting some pictures/reports if I get into some fish on swimbaits, unless the people I'm fishing with swear me to the Aussie version of omertà.

I've travelled to Costa Rica with rods & reels as carry-on with no issues.  But last year two of my buddies were able to take reels in their carry-on but on the return trip the people at CR customs told them they had to put the reels in the checked baggage.  They argued for 10 minutes but after being told they would not be able to board the plane with reels, they moved them to the checked baggage.  When they landed in Florida $2000 worth of reels was gone from the checked bags.  I take photos at home of the tackle I'm packing so there is a record in case it goes missing.  It all comes down to luck: do you get an honest guy or a crook at departure.

7 hours ago, waynem said:

I've travelled to Costa Rica with rods & reels as carry-on with no issues.  But last year two of my buddies were able to take reels in their carry-on but on the return trip the people at CR customs told them they had to put the reels in the checked baggage.  They argued for 10 minutes but after being told they would not be able to board the plane with reels, they moved them to the checked baggage.  When they landed in Florida $2000 worth of reels was gone from the checked bags.  I take photos at home of the tackle I'm packing so there is a record in case it goes missing.  It all comes down to luck: do you get an honest guy or a crook at departure.

Wow! So brutal! 

I debated walking back to check the travel rod lol. Only $100, if my kids would have been along I wouldn’t have but it was just the wife and I