Golden Dorado on Swimbaits?

Randykast

Has anyone here fished for golden dorados with swimbaits?  I have a trip coming up at the end of March to Argentina, and I am planning to bring:

-10" Hiro shad

-9" Rafa shad

-Blue back silver deps 250

-8.5" strong shad

-6" bull shad

-WCZ citizens

-MS slammer

Planning to throw them on 807 F5 departure, 30lb Pline Cxx + wire leader.  Probably will be running double split rings and 3-4x hooks.

If anyone has any suggestions on tackle/ swimbaits or if anyone has any input from his/her experience with golden dorados, that would be greatly appreciated.  

I never have but they are on the bucket list - how can they not be when you take a fish that lives in fast water like a trout, has the attitude of a smallmouth bass, and the dental hardware of a piranha?

You might check with the outfitters down there for recommendations on line.  I'd be surprised if they use anything other than braid with a heavy mono or fluoro leader with wire.  I think the lure selection is good, but keep in mind that you're fishing for something that is a card-carrying member of the razor gang - soft plastic lures will probably last a fish or two at best.  I would likely lean more heavily on the hard-bodied lures.  Depending on where you're going, definitely pick lures that look like sabalo images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkMkMHeecD-5w3E_AVXhW - I reckon anything that looks like a shad or silver trout ought to work.  And yeah, I'd take a couple of 9" or even 12" Slammers as well.  MS Slammers - don't leave home without them!

Please do let us know how the trip goes!

10 hours ago, FishDr said:

I never have but they are on the bucket list - how can they not be when you take a fish that lives in fast water like a trout, has the attitude of a smallmouth bass, and the dental hardware of a piranha?

You might check with the outfitters down there for recommendations on line.  I'd be surprised if they use anything other than braid with a heavy mono or fluoro leader with wire.  I think the lure selection is good, but keep in mind that you're fishing for something that is a card-carrying member of the razor gang - soft plastic lures will probably last a fish or two at best.  I would likely lean more heavily on the hard-bodied lures.  Depending on where you're going, definitely pick lures that look like sabalo images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkMkMHeecD-5w3E_AVXhW - I reckon anything that looks like a shad or silver trout ought to work.  And yeah, I'd take a couple of 9" or even 12" Slammers as well.  MS Slammers - don't leave home without them!

Please do let us know how the trip goes!

Thank you so much. This helped a lot!

11 hours ago, gettin bit said:

I have fly fished for them on the Paraná River in Argentina.  That river is large and off color we did best on dark colored flies. If the river you plan on fishing is also off color I would take dark baits that put off some thump. 

I'll be fly fishing for them on the parana river as well.  Thanks for the info!

Good luck on you trip! I don't have any experience with the Dorados, but if I were going I'd throw in a spool of braid. If the water is off color and you're using a wire leader, the fish probably aren't line shy. 

If you get hung up in cover or have a fish run into cover, I would want the strength of braid to pull it out..

Just my 2 cents.

25 minutes ago, Fishstix024 said:

Good luck on you trip! I don't have any experience with the Dorados, but if I were going I'd throw in a spool of braid. If the water is off color and you're using a wire leader, the fish probably aren't line shy. 

If you get hung up in cover or have a fish run into cover, I would want the strength of braid to pull it out..

Just my 2 cents.

Should I worry about throwing big glides on straight braid?  I feel like that's a bad idea. hahaha I hate braid unless I have to use it like on drop shot/ flipping/ pitching/ frogging.

19 minutes ago, Randykast said:

Should I worry about throwing big glides on straight braid?  I feel like that's a bad idea. hahaha I hate braid unless I have to use it like on drop shot/ flipping/ pitching/ frogging.

I fish the CA Delta for big striper most of the year. ALL of my set ups have 55-80lb braid and 3ft 30lb mono leaders. I have no issues throwing 250s and magnum topwater baits on these kits. If I fished straight mono, I'd lose hundreds of dollars in baits just to snags..

The rod and drag needs to compensate for the lack of stretch in the braid. Back the drag off a bit and a rod with some tip so you don't pull hooks.

If you get down there and the river is free of wood or rocks, you should stick with what your comfortable with. I'm just suggesting you throw in a spool of braid just in case. 

"Better to pack it and not use it, than not pack it and need it!"

20 minutes ago, Fishstix024 said:

I fish the CA Delta for big striper most of the year. ALL of my set ups have 55-80lb braid and 3ft 30lb mono leaders. I have no issues throwing 250s and magnum topwater baits on these kits. If I fished straight mono, I'd lose hundreds of dollars in baits just to snags..

The rod and drag needs to compensate for the lack of stretch in the braid. Back the drag off a bit and a rod with some tip so you don't pull hooks.

If you get down there and the river is free of wood or rocks, you should stick with what your comfortable with. I'm just suggesting you throw in a spool of braid just in case. 

"Better to pack it and not use it, than not pack it and need it!"

Thanks so much for the input!!!

Check out the larry dalhberg “hunt for big fish” series. He gets after them and has a really hard time with break offs. I find I can’t fish strong current with lipped baits but regular bullshads would be perfect. And big strong (saltwater) topwater would be fun. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Trip got cancelled.  The group I was supposed to go with bailed and they couldn't accommodate just one person...FML.  Still planning to go probably later this year early next year instead.  Thanks everyone for the tip.  I guess this gives me more time to prep.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, Randykast said:

good luck man! and no you should be fine