Legrady Lures - Shortcake

t8erbug

Great looking.  Swim test to come.  Paint looks fantastic (this is the first he's ever done in a white bass pattern).  I fell in love with the Donut Shad last year and I'm stoked to try out the 5" version of it.  In my experience downsizing baits usually comes with a large price in terms of action.  I'm hoping this bait will break away from that stigma.  Updates to follow..

pT3WNh3.jpg

16 hours ago, t8erbug said:

Great looking.  Swim test to come.  Paint looks fantastic (this is the first he's ever done in a white bass pattern).  I fell in love with the Donut Shad last year and I'm stoked to try out the 5" version of it.  In my experience downsizing baits usually comes with a large price in terms of action.  I'm hoping this bait will break away from that stigma.  Updates to follow..

pT3WNh3.jpg

It's funny you mention that as something to inquire about..... At least two peeps who fished with me bought gantarel Jrs after seeing my success with the regular gantarel. They are scratching their heads a little...so good topic. Could be it has too much action, haven't used one to figure it out. Could also be a different learning curve etc. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

• 2 weeks later...

Took her out for a swim yesterday in the snow.  I didn't get any bites but caught a few on the jig (it was just too cold to get follows on the SB). 

I am VERY pleased with the action of the Shortcake.  It didn't disappoint at all.  The glide is awesome, obviously not as wide as its big brother, but still extremely consistent and maneuverable.  The only downside is it seems the sink rate is a touch faster than the Donut Shad.  It's really only a downside if you're wanting a slower offering and longer pauses without catching the bottom in shallow areas.  

All in all, I'm happy with it and will report back with some fish catches.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:03 PM, t8erbug said:

Took her out for a swim yesterday in the snow.  I didn't get any bites but caught a few on the jig (it was just too cold to get follows on the SB). 

I am VERY pleased with the action of the Shortcake.  It didn't disappoint at all.  The glide is awesome, obviously not as wide as its big brother, but still extremely consistent and maneuverable.  The only downside is it seems the sink rate is a touch faster than the Donut Shad.  It's really only a downside if you're wanting a slower offering and longer pauses without catching the bottom in shallow areas.  

All in all, I'm happy with it and will report back with some fish catches.

Do you think the water temp has an impact on sink rate like it does to a jerkbait? Can't tell if you are wearing sandals or not. Ha ha. 

14 minutes ago, bigpoppabass said:

Do you think the water temp has an impact on sink rate like it does to a jerkbait? Can't tell if you are wearing sandals or not. Ha ha. 

In my bait making experience it has a difference. A huge difference once you get to the supsend/xxss range. When i weight my lures i weight test them in a neutral water temp. Preferably high fifties or so.

• 3 weeks later...

2nPfWdx.jpg

Obviously not a giant, but it is the first fish on the new bait.  Water temps were 49° on this trip and the bass were pretty sluggish.  I think water temp definitely has an effect on sink rate. 

As a secondary point, the baits are typically tuned without paint.  Thickness of the paint per coating doesn't scale based on the size of what you paint.  In other words, the paint is a constant.  So, after painting, the smaller baits will tend to see more of a performance change because the paint makes up a larger percentage of the bait. 

Think of it like a chocolate dipped strawberry.  Whether you dip a large one or small one, they both come out with the same thickness of chocolate.  If you're a chocolate lover you're going to want to eat more of the small ones because the amount of chocolate per strawberry, as a percentage of the whole, will be higher.  Worth thinking about as food for thought..

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 2:33 PM, bigpoppabass said:

I tested my shortcake today, and I liked it. Glides nicely on a slow handle retrieve. Nice horizontal slow sink on the pause too. It is more of swimming meandering glide rather than a sweeping side to side glide. 

IMO it is hard to get that side to side glide out of anything smaller than 7". Even more so on a straight retrieve. 

Thanks for the info!

11 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

IMO it is hard to get that side to side glide out of anything smaller than 7". Even more so on a straight retrieve. 

Thanks for the info!

Sounds accurate, the shortcake is much like the gantarel but a little smoother imo. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:48 AM, Slow rolling said:

I'm interested in trying one of these myself!  Not sure what kind of inventory he has but I'm going to try and track one down.

Brent builds to order so if you're wanting a brand new one you'll need to get on his list and wait for a month or so.  He's a freaking grinder and pumps them out consistently though so no worries about getting your bait.  Otherwise, just keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds.  I've bought one of his baits used before and it was a fair price and in perfect condition.  Either way, you'll be stoked to have this arrow in your quiver.

19 minutes ago, t8erbug said:

Brent builds to order so if you're wanting a brand new one you'll need to get on his list and wait for a month or so.  He's a freaking grinder and pumps them out consistently though so no worries about getting your bait.  Otherwise, just keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds.  I've bought one of his baits used before and it was a fair price and in perfect condition.  Either way, you'll be stoked to have this arrow in your quiver.

Good looking out man.  I've been checking in on his social to try and get a handle on it.  Thanks for the info about getting on the list.