Can you catch bass on Swimbaits in muddy waters

Riverking

Clear water rivers and lakes exist over an hours drive from my house. Everything close is very turbid and murky . I’ve had success on Chatterbaits rigged with a 5in soft plastic Swimbait. Since most Swimbaiters fish clear water.  I was wondering if anyone has any success and advice on throwing the bigger baits in the dark waters?

4 minutes ago, Riverking said:

Clear water rivers and lakes exist over an hours drive from my house. Everything close is very turbid and murky . I’ve had success on Chatterbaits rigged with a 5in soft plastic Swimbait. Since most Swimbaiters fish clear water.  I was wondering if anyone has any success and advice on throwing the bigger baits in the dark waters?

Theres a ton of guys that fish dirty water on here

@Riverking

I fish less than 6 inches of visibility. Not super muddy, but very stained. The thing you have to remember is that if the muddy water is normal, then the bass are used to it. If they have lived in it there whole life, well they must have adapted. Think about it this way, when a child is born way way up on a mountain, and it spends its life up there, it will have bigger, stronger lungs. It is used to the environment. In the same way, if a bass cant see 3 inches in front of their face, then they woll have developed very sensitive lateral lines, and a better sense of smell.

If they can find a 3 inch shad, or a 4 inch crawfish, not making noise, or stirring up a commotion, then they can find a 6,7,10 inch swimbait no problem.

I know it can be a confidence killer, but you got to realize that the bass dont know any different. Goodluck man, just find whatever they want, and then empty your bank account on it. 

Welcome to SU

Baits designed to bounce off cover should work everywhere......also there has gotta be a way to play the murky water bluegill pattern that often occurs in the backwaters of rivers etc.  It is sometimes a heat  sometimes nutrient thing (concentrated septic systems near water attracts bait, yucky idea they like overflow but true). It usually means finding pods that scram under calm conditions and returning to their holding spot when the wind hits it. 

P.S. I have always been amazed by the Shakey head vids in the chocolate you see on utube.  Check em out, strategy works well then too so why not for the sbs.

2 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

@Riverking

I fish less than 6 inches of visibility. Not super muddy, but very stained. The thing you have to remember is that if the muddy water is normal, then the bass are used to it. If they have lived in it there whole life, well they must have adapted. Think about it this way, when a child is born way way up on a mountain, and it spends its life up there, it will have bigger, stronger lungs. It is used to the environment. In the same way, if a bass cant see 3 inches in front of their face, then they woll have developed very sensitive lateral lines, and a better sense of smell.

If they can find a 3 inch shad, or a 4 inch crawfish, not making noise, or stirring up a commotion, then they can find a 6,7,10 inch swimbait no problem.

I know it can be a confidence killer, but you got to realize that the bass dont know any different. Goodluck man, just find whatever they want, and then empty your bank account on it. 

Welcome to SU

Yes, this. If the water is always pretty dirty, it’s not a problem. They’re used to it and they’ll eat a swimbait. If it’s normally clear and it gets real dirty, it might get tough. 

3 hours ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

@Riverking

Welcome to SU

Thanks I’m happy to be here

There is two lakes outside of my town . The lake I’ve been fishing is stained too muddy with maybe 3 inch visibility.  About 400 acres in size . With very little fishing pressure. Mostly crappie or catfisherman . You drive down a two mile dirt road to get there . You drive by a club lake to get there that has paved roads with houses around it and no fishing signs posted everywhere  . It’s know for it’s big bass and has lightly stained water . I fish from a kayak and have done good catching 12 bass in the 3 times I’ve been there . The lake is shaped like an upside down mushroom with a long stem . I’ve been finding the bass on the edges of the lake where it narrows up from the dam . It’s funny but they shutdown when it gets sunny and the when the wind starts blowing. My biggest bass caught at dusk was 19inches . I was rolling a Chatterbait rigged through the weeds in ten feet of water with 4.5 lunkerhunt fetch  plastic Swimbait. Thanks for all the great info I moved from a region with very clear oxygenated water. With great topwater action. I moved From central Texas to east Texas. I miss it but I’m learning to adapt and have some success. 

1 hour ago, dylan628 said:

Tiny Klash. That’s all you need. Lip in no tail in at all. Burn it and kill it burn it kill it all the way in. I’ve caught big fish in 1” or less visibility doing this 

I’ve been Swimbait fishing for almost a year now . So I’m still learning but I’ve heard about this klash and lots of buzz about it on social media. But I can’t seem to find any in stock 

4 minutes ago, Riverking said:

I’ve been Swimbait fishing for almost a year now . So I’m still learning but I’ve heard about this klash and lots of buzz about it on social media. But I can’t seem to find any in stock 

If you can find some for sale pull the trigger. I have 5 and want more