Wrap own baits jigskinz

Rangermike

Jig skinz review

So figured I would share something I have been doing some guys may not know about. On a whim I tried wrapping a few baits in odd colors. Not much to lose considering the jigskinz wraps are only $2 each. I didn’t even know if they would fit my swimbaits. Turns out it was easy to do and was happy with the results. There are two types proskinz which are just shorter wider for crankbaits shapes and regular jig skins which fit longer baits like swimbaits. The regular jigskinz not proskinz are what you want. The xlarge size fits a deps 250 without the skin and similar size. On a punker it’s too small it barely won’t fit over front split ring. I was still able to wrap it with 2 overlapping sections. The large size barely fits a s waver 200 and is a good fit on a 6in punker. Basically the xl size is what I use 75% of the time. I haven’t noticed any problems changing action of baits it’s very lightweight. Not sure about small baits. It’s easy to put a wrap on basically just dip it in boiling water there’s videos that show you better than I can explain it. Depending on the time and experience and shape of bait how clean it looks will vary but I’m confident to fish everything I wrapped so far. The just have rainbow and brown as far as trout and not a huge color selection but I’m not that picky and I like the trout color they have. You can then on tackle warehouse or the direct jigskinz site but they are sold in packs and Barlow tackle sells individual skinz but charges more shipping so just shop around. I’m no professional wrapper but I’ll post pics of a few I did. I am still learning but I’m definitely satisfied so far. This isn’t something to take away from professional painters and bait wrappers but it’s a cheap alternative with baits not worth custom painting, baits you want to change color but don’t use a lot or if your just on a budget.

21DD936E-1570-4FCB-B980-470DBE49AAD7.jpeg

FDF99100-0C7D-4F72-87DB-E6A0EFE2BDCB.jpeg

30748FEE-0060-4836-B425-00F5D368BC28.jpeg

22 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

That Deps looks good! Might have to try one myself...thanks for sharing!

Definitely your cheapest fastest option at a trout colored deps, you can get one for 90-100 and wrap it vs overpaying for a trout color

2 minutes ago, Rangermike said:

Definitely your cheapest fastest option at a trout colored deps, you can get one for 90-100 and wrap it vs overpaying for a trout color

How well do the eyes line up on the 250? From the picture it looks like they're pretty large so the standard eyes might not cover those on the wrap.

1 hour ago, danthefisherman said:

How well do the eyes line up on the 250? From the picture it looks like they're pretty large so the standard eyes might not cover those on the wrap.

I wasn’t too worried about it the eyes are dark especially under the skin but I’ll look later but I’m pretty sure they did, usually the head of a deps 250 is darker so you wouldn’t notice

An easy way to have more control of the placement of the skin is to use a turkey baster for the hot water instead of dipping them into a pot 

there’s a video of a guy doing it on YouTube 

basically he just has his pot of hot water and uses the baster to put the water over the skin, which allows him to shrink say the head area first, reposition it a little and then continue to pour the water over the back which holds it in place, then he just pours it over the whole bait 

my buddy does his this way and gets awesome results 

he uses “helping hands” to hold the bait while he pours the water over it 

9 hours ago, chefchris said:

An easy way to have more control of the placement of the skin is to use a turkey baster for the hot water instead of dipping them into a pot 

there’s a video of a guy doing it on YouTube 

basically he just has his pot of hot water and uses the baster to put the water over the skin, which allows him to shrink say the head area first, reposition it a little and then continue to pour the water over the back which holds it in place, then he just pours it over the whole bait 

my buddy does his this way and gets awesome results 

he uses “helping hands” to hold the bait while he pours the water over it 

thanks for the tip! Hopefully I will have a sick bluegill nego!

• 1 month later...

I tried this last year on a few baits and my results were awful.  You are much more skilled than I !   I am going to try again with the turkey baster idea to see if i can get better results after seeing your work.