Bad Night All Around

paynefish

My Tuesday deadline for catching a night fish has come and gone without a fish. It was a bad night tonight. Got out a little late and went to casting my black wake jr. Had a swirl on it but no real take (I did set the hook). Went to cast back out to it and *pop*. Line snaps and bait goes flying. I saw the rings where it landed in about 30ft of water and sized it up. Got my shoes off and wallet and cellphone put up and then saw two friggin snakes swimming around where I had to go. F! I looked around and the parking lot was empty. No wind and only 7 minutes from home I fly home, get my kayak with lights and fly back through Copland. I pull down to the launch and there's a boat there. WTF!?! I asked if they'd been out long and they said yeah we've been here a while (remember I left so they didn't know I had been there 15 minutes previous). I then asked (and already knew the answer) if they had seen a black bait floating around. They answered real quick that they hadnt and moved off to a point. I unloaded the kayak real quick and went straight to where the bait was and nothing. No bait. My gut sank. I started to paddle over to where they were about a hundred yards out and they fire up and haul azz. Pissed to the hilt I loaded up the yak and decided to throw a rago rat along the shoreline. third cast I stuck it in a tree and broke it off. F! I reeled up the rest of my line, threw that ish in the truck and came home. I need a new lake.

My Tuesday deadline for catching a night fish has come and gone without a fish. It was a bad night tonight. Got out a little late and went to casting my black wake jr. Had a swirl on it but no real take (I did set the hook). Went to cast back out to it and *pop*. Line snaps and bait goes flying. I saw the rings where it landed in about 30ft of water and sized it up. Got my shoes off and wallet and cellphone put up and then saw two friggin snakes swimming around where I had to go. F! I looked around and the parking lot was empty. No wind and only 7 minutes from home I fly home, get my kayak with lights and fly back through Copland. I pull down to the launch and there's a boat there. WTF!?! I asked if they'd been out long and they said yeah we've been here a while (remember I left so they didn't know I had been there 15 minutes previous). I then asked (and already knew the answer) if they had seen a black bait floating around. They answered real quick that they hadnt and moved off to a point. I unloaded the kayak real quick and went straight to where the bait was and nothing. No bait. My gut sank. I started to paddle over to where they were about a hundred yards out and they fire up and haul azz. Pissed to the hilt I loaded up the yak and decided to throw a rago rat along the shoreline. third cast I stuck it in a tree and broke it off. F! I reeled up the rest of my line, threw that ish in the truck and came home. I need a new lake.

Oh man Chris, that was a brutal night for you man. We can all relate.

-R

Brutal. I have been there.... I casted my slammer in a tree the last weekend during a night mission. Luckily I was in a boat and able to retrieve it. I would get up early and check the wind blown shoreline for my wake jr. I know it is a long shot, but after reading stories of people retrieving baits on here I wouldn't count it out.

pretty sure it's been dry for the last two hours but I'll go check anyway. I'll just have to throw slammers for a while at night. won't be able to get my other jr fixed for a bit. oh well. that's fishing. :D

...gotta love them Slammers! 8-) If it makes you feel any better Chris;

I've had friends lose way more than just one 3:16 in one night. OUCH! :cry:

Chris, hit me up if you want a loner jr, I am getting a bass in a day or so and my trout with be riding the bench. She's been "loved" to hell and gets bit like crazy, been broken at the joint and has plenty of rash and a few chips, if anything will get you bit she will. I got her from a fellow member and got 10 fish on it the first time out, then broke her.

Like I said, let me know if you want me to lone it to you.

Hope you get back the black wake.

went this morning and no love on the banks for a washed up wake.

Luke, thanks for the offer bud. I think I'm going to give a little distance to the jrs for a bit. Need to retrain some mojo. I'll throw my slammers till the repair is finished. Good looking out bro.

There is another lake nearby that I may go hit up tomorrow. Try something different.

No more talk about lost baits. Off to find some fish :D

That sucks man sorry to hear. What line and knot you using? Bc I have yet to cast one off(knock on wood). Throwing big game, pline og and a good Palomar

it was my first to cast off. line snapped. 30lb big game, palomar knot. I think it must have had a nick in it from the fish the previous cast. lots of rocks around where I was at. I have yanked all kinds of stuff on that line with no issues. must have been cut. shame on me for not checking. got another coming in the mail. somebody shot me a very generous purchase offer that I couldnt say no to. I'll just make sure I have the kayak with me next time so I can go get that thing. :lol:

That is brutal Chris. Very nice that someone is offering you a replacement.

One thing you could always do is carry a 3 oz pyramid sinker and cast it over the bait and drag it in. Or at least beat the snakes over the head with it

-Ali