Clear Lake question

CaliBassin

I am going to clear lake in late may for the second time in my life. I do not know much about the lake and will be fishing a tournament. What kind of baits (swimbait or conventional) will I need to do well that time of year? I know guys crush them on drop shots but would prefer to fish more reaction baits. Thanks

2 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Look up Stoked On Fishing's old videos with Matt Newman and Paul Bailey. They grind on big rocks with hudds and get onto some good fish. I must've watched all those videos a hundred times by now trying to learn everything I could about fishing the lake.

I have also watched them hundreds of times.... last may when I was there I threw big baits all day and could not catch anything. (very weedy) 

32 minutes ago, CaliBassin said:

I have also watched them hundreds of times.... last may when I was there I threw big baits all day and could not catch anything. (very weedy) 

My brother and I fish the lake around the same time every year when we can. We fish from shore so it's not the same exact scenario, but it can get really tough especially when the sun is blazing at its highest and/or the bass are keyed in so much on the shad. Last year there were actually a lot less weeds than we were used to. I threw swimbaits until my arms felt like they would fall off and only managed one half-hearted bite. I did get quite a few good follows though on a shining rainbow Gancraft 230. Fish were either holding tight to docks or working schools of shad. In four days fishing from shore I only managed to land one decent bass on a jerkbait.

I assume you'll have a boat though so you should be able to locate fish willing to bite. I'd work shad schools with an Arig or crawl bottom with a hudd. If that doesn't produce maybe try pitching glides right up to docks. Good luck!

There were lots of boats. There was one tournament on Friday and then two tournaments on Saturday. The fish were on beds, but the water wasn’t clear enough to sight fish them in most areas. On Saturday the wind picked up to about 20 which made it almost impossible to fish them on beds. From what I read, I’m pretty sure all of the tournaments were won by flipping tules though, so I assume they were just blind casting to beds. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well things are pretty much set now. Have a couple spots and bait ideas but am hoping to have everything dialed and not have to switch baits a ton. I’m only getting one day to prefish and so far as of swimbaits my 2 main baits on the deck will be a 8”punker and a 8” wrs. If anyone else has fished the lake recently and has found something that wasn’t mentioned above, help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 

Finished up at Clearlake in 14th out of the 56 boats. We only had 15.5 lbs anchored by a 5.5 on the 8” punker. During prefishing we had close to 19 lbs which would have put us in top 5 and advancing to the next tournament. Oh well!