Magnum Screw Eyes

danthefisherman

I've been wondering if there's anywhere else you guys get your magnum 0.092 screws from besides Lure Parts Online. I normally get my standard 0.072 screws from Janns Netcraft, but they don't carry the magnum sizes.

While I'm at it I might as well also ask where to get those mega-sized screws for those of you with experience in making rats or big wakes. I tried finding an appropriate sized stainless option but they all run about $5+ a pop which I think to be a bit excessive. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Dan

5 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I've been wondering if there's anywhere else you guys get your magnum 0.092 screws from besides Lure Parts Online. I normally get my standard 0.072 screws from Janns Netcraft, but they don't carry the magnum sizes.

While I'm at it I might as well also ask where to get those mega-sized screws for those of you with experience in making rats or big wakes. I tried finding an appropriate sized stainless option but they all run about $5+ a pop which I think to be a bit excessive. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Dan

I get mine at LPO, but theres a seller on ebay that has em too, much cheaper, I can send you the info if you want. He has open and closed and in a few lengths and has the .072 as well. 

Mega sized screw eyes, like on a slammer? If you're talking about those, theres a few options. I wanted to find the ones i wanted in person first before ordering without seeing them. West marine had some (any good marine supply shop should have em), if you have a grainger or mcmaster carr around you, they carry em too, if none of those are an option find a good machine/bolt shop and they should have em too, once you find what you like size and length wise you can easily find em online for a lot cheaper. Home depot even had some in stock, I have a few packs left I can let you know which size they are later. 

I was only able to find closed screw eyes of those sizes. So I used a flat head screwdriver and hammer, used a thinner one at first, placed it in on a piece of scrap wood, placed the screwdriver between the eye and shank, banged it in and pryed it open a little, then used a bigger thicker flathead and was able to pry it open enough to get the other screw eye inside. 

3 hours ago, chefchris said:

I get mine at LPO, but theres a seller on ebay that has em too, much cheaper, I can send you the info if you want. He has open and closed and in a few lengths and has the .072 as well. 

Mega sized screw eyes, like on a slammer? If you're talking about those, theres a few options. I wanted to find the ones i wanted in person first before ordering without seeing them. West marine had some (any good marine supply shop should have em), if you have a grainger or mcmaster carr around you, they carry em too, if none of those are an option find a good machine/bolt shop and they should have em too, once you find what you like size and length wise you can easily find em online for a lot cheaper. Home depot even had some in stock, I have a few packs left I can let you know which size they are later. 

I was only able to find closed screw eyes of those sizes. So I used a flat head screwdriver and hammer, used a thinner one at first, placed it in on a piece of scrap wood, placed the screwdriver between the eye and shank, banged it in and pryed it open a little, then used a bigger thicker flathead and was able to pry it open enough to get the other screw eye inside. 

Thanks Chris, exactly what I was looking for. Is it an established company selling through ebay? I feel more confortable putting in hardware from bigger name brands like LPO even though they probably all get them from the same place haha.

Yes, I'm referring to the bigger screws like those in a slammer. For some reason I can't find any of reasonable price online, but maybe that's because I don't know what to look for. There are some local shops pretty close to me so maybe I'll pay them a visit. Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, VolunteerSwimbaits said:

Working on a new bait Dan? I am already excited haha.

I have so many projects that I want to work on and not enough time to start/finish them. Most are only drafts at the moment, but I can't keep myself from working on something new at all times even when I have old projects to finish up haha

13 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Thanks Chris, exactly what I was looking for. Is it an established company selling through ebay? I feel more confortable putting in hardware from bigger name brands like LPO even though they probably all get them from the same place haha.

Yes, I'm referring to the bigger screws like those in a slammer. For some reason I can't find any of reasonable price online, but maybe that's because I don't know what to look for. There are some local shops pretty close to me so maybe I'll pay them a visit. Thanks for the help!

yes the ones on ebay are the same as the LPO ones, guess the guy use to have a small bait company and build some muskie/pike lures and stopped for whatever reason, some of the ones Ive bought from him came in LPO bags. I'll send you the info for the guy. 

Joinster ...do they have both open/closed eyes??? like chefchris mentioned above they're a b%*@ch to open, lol...are they zinc plated, stainless, or galvanized ??...thanks ...michel..Go Fish!!!

I never looked for open eyes, I believe I bought zinc plated but don't see why you couldn't get them in stainless. Heck maybe I got the stainless ones and am just spacing. Have you tried opening them with a big pair of lineman pliers, kleins, etc? The wire cutter end on big ones worked for me, and I managed to not cut the eye itself. Just use the cutter end as a wedge. I'm sure your typical Diags would work too. It you are really into it, make a die and press them open on a vise.