Things to ponder for young trophy seekers.

AlaskaRay

Lmb will be heaviest 1-month post spawn. 73% of world records caught within 3-days either side of full or new moon. Particularily good 3-days leading up to full moon and 3- days after new moon. Gorged fish may not eat for 5-days. Freshly stocked rainbows are disoriented and vulnerable. NW sections of lake can be 5 degrees warmer than rest of lake in spring. Males may be on nests 2-3 weeks, but females only 3-6 days. Best lures are baitfish imitation, that track at all depths, long and slender baits instead of more girthy lures. More tail action movement than head action. Most big females in 8-12' of water in our lakes across USA. Hope this helps some of the new guys and young beginners, good luck this spring.

LMB are heaviest post spawn?! Here in Texas, they are about 10 to 20% heavier pre-spawn than they are post-spawn, due to bulking up during the Fall/Winter, and having a belly full of roe. They are long and skinny in the post spawn. At least they are here.

However, I agree with a majority of the other info you wrote. :) Are these your observations, or is this from sort of research you read?

Most of the notes I have in my bass diary are from years ago and I would say Doug Hannon was where I got most of my technical stuff. I should have said 2-3 months post spawn is a LMB's heaviest, Doug believed the female would gain back her lost spawn weight plus some by feeding heavy after loosing eggs. She kind of shuts down for a while then goes on a heavy feed. What do other guys think?

• 5 years later...

Anyone can sight cast and catch a spawning fish,not much skill in that(besides finding the nest).

Not anyone. I agree it's EASIER to catch them when they're on a bed but there are a lot of guys that still can't do it. It does take some skill though. Just not a lot.

Also, considering that 19 of the top 25 biggest bass ever caught were caught from Feb. to May, (and most of those were caught in CA and would be prespawn to active spawning during those months) I would say that most fish would be at their largest prespawn to spawn.

That being said, it could be different region to region. In CA trout stocked lakes, in my experience, the fish are definitely bigger before spawn because DFW usually doesn't stock the lakes after it gets real warm. Interesting facts in this post though. Good stuff to know.

Not anyone. I agree it's EASIER to catch them when they're on a bed but there are a lot of guys that still can't do it. It does take some skill though. Just not a lot.

I agree with you that it does take some skill in catching a nesting bass by sight fishing ,but not a lot (at least here in Florida). Many of the lakes I fish are clear,you can easily see the bass nesting during the spawn.Drag a jig on the nest repeatedly and most nesting bass will eventually hit the jig to get it off the nest. With that said,I am sure many of us catch spawning bass by mistake during the spawn since we are fishing over nest without knowing it.