wake jr worth it's salt?

fishaholic211

I am heading down to St George island with the family for a few days and I was thinking about taking my swimbait set up. I have always done well down there with spoons catching reds, sea trout, blues, and I even hooked a tarpon once. But, I was wondering what swimbaits would be effective. I thought about throwing my FS herring and wake jr. The only thing that hangs me up is my jr is in trout and there aren't any rainbow trout in the gulf :lol: . So help, suggestions, anything would be gratly appreciated. Thank you SU

fish

First, let me say, I have absolutely NO experience with any saltwater fishing.

Have you ever seen a pink fish swimming around in a lake? But fish eat sissy.

I have NO perch in my lake, but fish bite it.

What I'm trying to get at is, if it has the profile and action of a fish... it will get bit.

The issue is do you wanna risk losing the bait. It will get bit, but in general saltwater fish tend to be toothier than freshwater fish. If I would you I would bring some cheaper swimbaits and not your 3:16s. I would never want to raise the chances of losing a bait as awesome as the wake jr, but it's not my decision to make.

The issue is do you wanna risk losing the bait. It will get bit, but in general saltwater fish tend to be toothier than freshwater fish. If I would you I would bring some cheaper swimbaits and not your 3:16s. I would never want to raise the chances of losing a bait as awesome as the wake jr, but it's not my decision to make.

Man after yo fish these baits for awhile price and novelty ware off at least for me it has i just wanna catch fish either step up and throw it or keep in package and look at it and ain't gonna catch anything but maybe a clance with eyeball every now and again.I am a fisherman not collector i want baits that i can throw and catch fish.If iam worried about loosing it then not gonna buy it.Get some cheap ones and save it for the freshwater bass.If your worried about loosing it.But remember shyte happens and any abit antime can snap off line or be damaged heck just look around site.Couple picks of 10in wake baits smashed by sidewalks so if your in this game for looking at baits or fishing the baits is totally up to you.But as far as wake jr goes not much compare to them in my opinion and i am sure some will dissagree but hey that is there opinion.Hope this helps and good luck either way

I was planning on taking my fs shad down for vacation a few weeks ago and fish it in the gulf. Ended up losing it before the trip. Just go to a tackle store and tie a swivel to your main line then rig up a wire leader straight to the bait and you should be fine.

I was planning on taking my fs shad down for vacation a few weeks ago and fish it in the gulf. Ended up losing it before the trip. Just go to a tackle store and tie a swivel to your main line then rig up a wire leader straight to the bait and you should be fine.

Most wire leaders have a ball bearing swivel built in. Theres a guy on that auction site that makes his own fluoro leaders. I use them for musky fishing. He makes them in all sorts of lengths and lb test. I generally use 12-14" 80lb leaders. He uses cross lok snaps and sampo BB swivels if I remember correctly. Best leaders out there.

If you want to target reds and trout they will hit swimbaits. I have caught numerous bull and slot reds on an Ayu Wake Jr. I have also had a lot of luck on 3:16 softbaits~ Shads and Bluegills. Punkers will work well for trout and reds. This time of year the trout and reds in Appalachicola Bay should be in less than 3' of water so I would not worry about a leader (yes~ I know sharks cruise that shallow but I typically don't see them that shallow). If you are catching bluefish you are fishing water that is too deep. I just got back from a week of fishing out of Indian Pass and the trout and reds were thick. We were using traditional gear since we do not get to the coast that often we try to increase our odds. I only take my swimbait gear when I fish out of Venice, LA. If y'all are taking a boat shoot me a pm and I can share some spots.

Apalachicola Bay...

BTW~ the reds we were catching were in less than 18" of water over grass flats so take that into consideration when selecting any sinking baits you are going to use.