GoPro locking up or freezing?

Spectrum

I've only had this thing for maybe 2 months now, and recorded maybe 10-12hrs of footage total. But recently, every time I try to film with it, it runs for 3 to 5 mins and then freezes. The red light stays on, buttons don't respond, and I have to take the battery out to get it working again.

I've emailed GoPro to try and sort it out, but they respond once a day so it's taking a lot longer than I'd like. I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had this happen, figured out what caused it, and can help me out here.

I took this thing up north for a couple of weeks and found the problem the hard way. Had probably the single greatest day of my life throwing swimbaits and thought I had it all on video. If I had paid more attention I would have realized it was freezing, but I let the battery die, swapped batteries, hit record and let it run again til that battery died.

I'm using 32gb Sandisk "extreme" class 10 45MB/sec cards. Tried formatting them with the camera to resolve the issue and that made no difference. Tried both cards, same result. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe it overheats and locks up? I've been recording at 1080p in the waterproof housing, but from everything I've found online, that shouldn't be a problem. Still going to try 720p 30fps tomorrow morning and see if it'll work.

I dont have a gopro but the little Bloggie I got from luke works really well, i just use Lab equip to mount it to the steering wheel(footage to come when I catch one on tape). Anyways I had to make a shade for the thing in this 100+ degree heat. It was going out on heat overload and turning off. The gopro looks way may heavy duty, but i had a similar issue recording.

I don't have a specific answer for you; but it may be worth posting in a couple of these forums?.....seem to be a lot of seasoned gopro users in there. I'm still learning about mine and reading a bunch right now; so I don't have a good answer.

-

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... LQ1M&mvs=0

-

Not trying to be a smarta$$ with my post, :) Things got busy at work, so i just posted the google link for a few forums I've been reading. :oops:

Nope, not yet. I'm convinced it's overheating and I'll be able to get out this weekend and run it in the middle of the day. See if I maybe have it figured out.

They weren't all that helpful through email. Wanted me to try different memory cards, format the cards, restore default settings, etc. All of which I'd already tried, and after that I hadn't heard back from them. Found a phone # though on Mon.

I'd looked at a lot of random forums for answers or anyone with similar problems. Saw some stuff that kind of confirmed that it could be overheating. I turned the settings down to 720p30 and the medium wide angle to see if that changes anything.

Thanks for that by the way. I got that you were trying to be helpful and not an ass.

Hey spectrum, any luck solving your problem?

Talked to 'em on the phone yesterday. They're just going to replace it.

The guy told me on the phone, when I asked about possibly overheating in the water tight case recording at 1080p, if it overheats it will show it on the screen. That was the last idea I had, and he just emailed me what I have to fill out to send it in.