New to Swimbaits

Grog

What’s up SU! 

I’m new to the swimbait game but I’ve dove head first into the game. I was hoping to get some ideas for swimbaits to pick up. I’ve been fishing tournaments for about 10 years and I primarily fish the California delta and the lakes around here. Everything from Clearlake to New Melones. I was hoping you guys and gals could help me out by throwing out some ideas on what I should buy. I’ve got a good collection of toxic baits and wcz baits, but I’m looking for some more stuff to try! 

Thanks! 

Van

I believe if you’re trying to be the most effective it is important to have one or two (three at the max). Of a style of bait. No need for 15 different trout glides that’ll only get your Caidence thrown off. Especially as a starter, try to pick one or two baits in every category to learn and fish. Ex. A boot tail softbait like your WCZ, a wedge tail bait like a baitsmith, one trout glide, one gill glide, a waking rat, a cranking rat. Etc. in my mind that is the best way to have a lot of baits. Have one for different situations instead of having 15 of one style bait. This way you aren’t sitting in the boat and wondering what to throw because you have a box of the same style bait. If you know or want to find out if they are eating a cartain forage or technique then you know what to go to and know all of that specific baits features and qwerks. Hope that makes sense

23 minutes ago, Loganodum38 said:

I believe if you’re trying to be the most effective it is important to have one or two (three at the max). Of a style of bait. No need for 15 different trout glides that’ll only get your Caidence thrown off. Especially as a starter, try to pick one or two baits in every category to learn and fish. Ex. A boot tail softbait like your WCZ, a wedge tail bait like a baitsmith, one trout glide, one gill glide, a waking rat, a cranking rat. Etc. in my mind that is the best way to have a lot of baits. Have one for different situations instead of having 15 of one style bait. This way you aren’t sitting in the boat and wondering what to throw because you have a box of the same style bait. If you know or want to find out if they are eating a cartain forage or technique then you know what to go to and know all of that specific baits features and qwerks. Hope that makes sense

That’s some killer advice and helps a ton! I appreciate you breaking it down for me. 

The best thing to do for now in my opinion is throw and learn the baits you already own and build up some confidence by putting fish in the boat with them. Once you've put some fish in the boat with those I recommend branching out and trying new baits/styles. The swimbait game is difficult and confidence in particular baits can go a long way and really understanding how they swim, feel and react is key as well.