Huddleston UV

Zase33

I recently just got into the swimbait game and was looking around for some baits. I work crazy hours so I do a lot of night fishing. While searching, I came accross the Huddleston Nightstalker UV 68s. I like the whole idea of an all black bait at night just dunno about the whole UV idea. Has anyone tried these at all?

50/50. Probably won’t hurt. Probably won’t actually help much either. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post with a fish on it. Doesn’t mean there isn’t someone sticking fish with it. 

2 hours ago, Wes Peart said:

Don't think UV anything matters when there's no black light present.

That's what I been reading. Basically if there's no full moon and the waters dirty at all, then it's pointless. 

Can’t doubt the presence and drawing power of the hudd though, no matter what color, year, or size! However, if your in search of a night swimbait, look into wake baits, wake and crank baits, it a staple now for many of us out there night fishing! 

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old topic but...

Fish have way different vision than humans do and can see the UV spectrum. So to us it just looks like a black bait but to the fish it looks like a UV light is hitting it making it glow for them (since they can see that spectrum).

I've not used UV lures yet but would love to hear from someone who has. Some claim it makes a hell of a difference.

18 hours ago, Fat Fisherman said:

I know this is an old topic but...

Fish have way different vision than humans do and can see the UV spectrum. So to us it just looks like a black bait but to the fish it looks like a UV light is hitting it making it glow for them (since they can see that spectrum).

I've not used UV lures yet but would love to hear from someone who has. Some claim it makes a hell of a difference.

Bass can't see UV light. They don't have UV wave lenghts receptors in their eyes. They don't even have blue light receptors. So, probably they don't see blue and purple (or don't see it very well). Blue and purple are probably the same as grey to them. The colors they see the best are red/orange and green/yellow. Carp can see blue and UV.

Edited by mcaetano2905

Either Ken is science-challenged or is just trying  to run a gimmick by gullible anglers.  The "UV" being used in these bait is what is known as an optical brightener.  These brighteners function by absorbing UV radiation and emitting it as visible blue/violet color.  Sunlight is rich in UV light, but unfortunately for Ken there is no direct sunlight at night and the slight ambient night light contains only a trace amount of UV radiation.  So fishing a black bait with optical brightener at night has zero advantage over a plain black bait.