Fish count

CaliBassin

On 8/10/2019 at 8:04 PM, CaliBassin said:

I need to start getting out at night more. My work schedule is pretty crazy so I don’t fish a ton. Every time I night fish I start tripping balls. Lol from what i hear you start getting used to it though 

Hardest part is adjusting to the low light, but here is the beta, go there before the sun goes down, Premark, lanes, casting angles, submerged goodies, high potential areas,  also mark the snaggy areas or danger zones, and that alone changed the way I fish at night, I use to just go in blind, run and gun, but like everyone says about swimbait fishing preparation is key, changed the game for me. I hope this helps! 

34 minutes ago, CaliBassin said:

Fall is by farrrr my favorite time of the year. It’s about to get crazy here in a few weeks at my local lake.

heck ya I am with you on that. Looking forward to some pics of those california giants

1 hour ago, MartinG said:

Hardest part is adjusting to the low light, but here is the beta, go there before the sun goes down, Premark, lanes, casting angles, submerged goodies, high potential areas,  also mark the snaggy areas or danger zones, and that alone changed the way I fish at night, I use to just go in blind, run and gun, but like everyone says about swimbait fishing preparation is key, changed the game for me. I hope this helps! 

Thank you! This will definitely help out a lot!

When in Rhode Island I would do 1200-1400 bass a season about 9-10 months with regular tackle. With only 1-3 bass at or over 5lbs.

After going to swimbaits my total fish went down to 400-600 for the same reason but between 12-15 bass at or over 5lbs, still in Rhode Island.

The past 4 years in Florida I would say about the same total fish but 45-55 bass at or over 5lbs per year (12 months).

So far a total of 14 bass over 8lbs.

Best 5 for 2018

8lbs 0oz

8lbs 1oz

8lbs 11oz

10lbs 1oz

10lbs 2oz

Best for 2019 so far (only 8lbs and above)

8lbs 3oz

11lbs 1oz

There are a ton of details that should be looked at or noted. Moon phase should be the first thing on the list along with wind, and where/what type of structure fish is caught at, along with all the other things I mentioned.

But the most important thing is time on the water doing what YOU have to do to get YOUR fish. What bait and technic that works for others may not work for you, so watching someone on YouTube will NOT make you a better swimbaiter.

Brian

1 hour ago, bassbass said:

When in Rhode Island I would do 1200-1400 bass a season about 9-10 months with regular tackle. With only 1-3 bass at or over 5lbs.

After going to swimbaits my total fish went down to 400-600 for the same reason but between 12-15 bass at or over 5lbs, still in Rhode Island.

The past 4 years in Florida I would say about the same total fish but 45-55 bass at or over 5lbs per year (12 months).

Best 5 for 2018

8lbs 0oz

8lbs 1oz

8lbs 11oz

10lbs 1oz

10lbs 2oz

8lbs 3oz

11lbs 1oz

There are a ton of details that should be looked at or noted. Moon phase should be the first thing on the list along with wind, and where/what type of structure fish is caught at, along with all the other things I mentioned.

But the most important thing is time on the water doing what YOU have to do to get YOUR fish. What bait and technic that works for others may not work for you, so watching someone on YouTube will NOT make you a better swimbaiter.

Brian

dannnnng those are some crazy number! I completely agree with everything you said, it is important to hear it now and again as a reminder. Sure you can learn alot online (i am constantly looking at different ways to work a bait) some work for my style and alot dont. The key is like you said getting out putting the time in and paying attention to what the lunar phase, weather, and fish are telling you.

3 hours ago, bassbass said:

Best 5 for 2018

8lbs 0oz

8lbs 1oz

8lbs 11oz

10lbs 1oz

10lbs 2oz

8lbs 3oz

11lbs 1oz

Brian

Time is everything. Too many people just watch videos or see instagram posts and try copying that persons technique.  All waterways are far different from one another and it is important to learn your fishery and adapt.

I fish too much to keep track usually 70-80 days a year and I don’t weigh everything usually only if it’s over 6 but I had a 9 in Florida and several over 7 and too many over 6 to count. Fall is my best time for 8+ fish in Kentucky 

Edited by Rangermike

• 3 weeks later...