Mixing Fuel Stabilizers A Good Idea?

bigpoppabass

The head gasket on my 2003 yammy 4 stroke went this year.  I am curious if mixing stablizers is a good idea? I generally use startron during season and marine stabil and Chevron techron during my final trips. I may be overdoing it considering I rarely add gas, a two gallon touch up usually fills my 12 gallon tank. Also I use 93 octane gas marketed to clean engines 2x as much as regular gas.  Labels say you can't add too much but don't comment on mixing issue.  I am curious if I am creating too rich of a fuel mixture.

P.S. Reason I ask is I once had a reliable Subaru that immediately blew a head gasket after I added a fuel treatment during a long trip. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

I have a little experience both ways with this.

I re-built a 77 Ironhead Harley motor, it sat in the bike for 3 years. I added stabilizer before I put it away not knowing it would sit that long. 3 years later when i was pulling the cob webs off it I added some octane booster/fuel stabilizer. And that sucker fired right up.

On a different motor project a 9.5 Evinrude, gas sat in it for a few years still attached to the tank.

Added stablizer to the gas, and octane booster. Let it sit for a few days. Cleaned the carbs. Started right up. I got busy forgot about the project.

Fast forward 6 months same process, not remembering what I had added, started right up after a few pulls but sounded real funky this time.

Blown head gasket, and a bent valve. My old man (a life long tinkerer) said there was definitely to much additives in the fuel and the ratio from gas/oil/additives was probably way off.

Since then anything like that I just try to add high octane gas and octane boosters, better to run hot and burn fast then to run a bunch of random chemicals. 

If you want to run something every tank full, add the sea foam. That's the best stuff out there. My old man had stockpiles of it!

5 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

I have a little experience both ways with this.

I re-built a 77 Ironhead Harley motor, it sat in the bike for 3 years. I added stabilizer before I put it away not knowing it would sit that long. 3 years later when i was pulling the cob webs off it I added some octane booster/fuel stabilizer. And that sucker fired right up.

On a different motor project a 9.5 Evinrude, gas sat in it for a few years still attached to the tank.

Added stablizer to the gas, and octane booster. Let it sit for a few days. Cleaned the carbs. Started right up. I got busy forgot about the project.

Fast forward 6 months same process, not remembering what I had added, started right up after a few pulls but sounded real funky this time.

Blown head gasket, and a bent valve. My old man (a life long tinkerer) said there was definitely to much additives in the fuel and the ratio from gas/oil/additives was probably way off.

Since then anything like that I just try to add high octane gas and octane boosters, better to run hot and burn fast then to run a bunch of random chemicals. 

If you want to run something every tank full, add the sea foam. That's the best stuff out there. My old man had stockpiles of it!

You just added another chemical to my list. Haha.