Dallas TX residents

365swimbait

I was born and raised in Orange County CA my entire life and my wife and I are thinking about packing up and moving to Dallas TX. Besides the cost of buying a 3bedroom house, whats really appealing is the amount of lakes in the area. I’m sure there’re good and bad parts of every city and state, but I’d love some input on how long you’ve lived there, which city and how much you like living in Dallas. 

Moved here from L.A. 2 years ago. Living in the Plano/Colony area close to Lake Lewisville. Mileage may vary, so please don’t take these all as hard rules.

Pro’s

No state income tax

Less traffic

Less homeless 

Affordable housing

Cheaper Gas

Fishing Related:

Many more lakes/ponds to spread fishermen out

Con’s

Higher Property Tax

Toll Ways (not Freeways)

Weather (August and January suck)

Bugs

Fishing Related:

No nearby ocean

Hard to find clear water 

Bass often focused on smaller baitfish (e.g. threadfin) making swim-baiting tough

Heavy Wind and Rain can kill the bite (or at least your will to fish)

Many a-hole lake lice (speedboaters, skiers, wake boarders,etc.) 

Actual lake pests (snakes, turtles, etc.)

Overall I would not go back to Cali other than to vacation. Still learning how to put together consistent year round patterns. 

4 hours ago, Sb slayer said:

Moved here from L.A. 2 years ago. Living in the Plano/Colony area close to Lake Lewisville. Mileage may vary, so please don’t take these all as hard rules.

Pro’s

No state income tax

Less traffic

Less homeless 

Affordable housing

Cheaper Gas

Fishing Related:

Many more lakes/ponds to spread fishermen out

Con’s

Higher Property Tax

Toll Ways (not Freeways)

Weather (August and January suck)

Bugs

Fishing Related:

No nearby ocean

Hard to find clear water 

Bass often focused on smaller baitfish (e.g. threadfin) making swim-baiting tough

Heavy Wind and Rain can kill the bite (or at least your will to fish)

Many a-hole lake lice (speedboaters, skiers, wake boarders,etc.) 

Actual lake pests (snakes, turtles, etc.)

Overall I would not go back to Cali other than to vacation. Still learning how to put together consistent year round patterns. 

Hey thanks man. Its great hearing from someone who living in LA/OC.. I really appreciate the PM’s and replys. Great info from all. 

One more thing about SoCal vs. NE Tex swimbaiting. If your used to fishing around the trout stocking commonly found in OC and LA lakes, that is not typical in most lakes here in Texas. Some of my best trout baits are not getting in the rotation much as a result.

Finding bluegill baits to be more productive so you may want to consider that when stocking up if you pull the trigger. Again someone may be killing it on trout baits, but I lost a bit of confidence in them.