2 piece rat wake

trnsfererr

Started carving my second bait not too long ago. I like how it looks from the side profile, but not too happy with the top. Doesn’t really matter what it looks like as long as it gets chewed but I’m still picky and critical. Haven’t decided what I’m gonna do for the joint, was thinking one screw eye joint, what do you guys think?image.thumb.jpg.2ec9f5a411971b373e0e902fb80bc3e3.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.37d80c07ed907a7ef1e256bd53f552fa.jpgAlso curious if anyone knows what i should do about all the imperfections of the wood, was thinking of getting some type of filler / paste and sanding it down. 

514EB6B3-58B0-4B8B-A855-F59877191517.thumb.jpeg.8ec83d310cbbbb40a59e0eac5c0145b1.jpeg

decided to throw some spray paint on it before the epoxy. I like the way it turned out. Still need to decide on the lip i have one cut but i have to trim down some of epoxy that got in the slit. This thing is 12” with the tail. 

That’s looking pretty sick man, the whole profile is great. 

I’ve made rats with 3 different lips on the same body and they all made a big difference so really just matters what kind of action you’re going for. 

Now this info is what I found out on my rats and my builds, your results will/may differ based on design of your bait. 

the square style gave em a tighter swim, and nice knock and not a lot of head roll, worked from a slow crawl to medium crank, would blow out on a faster retrieve. This style lip comes thru cover great. 

the rounded lip gave em more of a crazier action, more knock and noise, could fish it a lot faster, more of a traditional wakebait action and lots of head roll. Will not dive at all, can fish it super slow to fast. Doesn’t come through cover as good as the straight style. This style lip seems to give every bait I’ve used it on a lot of head roll, so if that’s not something you’re after I’d stay away from the round style. 

The “nez” style lip gave it a steady wake swim, waked great, can burn it without blowing out and will crank down a few inches which I like. It also comes thru cover nicely. 

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

That’s looking pretty sick man, the whole profile is great. 

I’ve made rats with 3 different lips on the same body and they all made a big difference so really just matters what kind of action you’re going for. 

Now this info is what I found out on my rats and my builds, your results will/may differ based on design of your bait. 

the square style gave em a tighter swim, and nice knock and not a lot of head roll, worked from a slow crawl to medium crank, would blow out on a faster retrieve. This style lip comes thru cover great. 

the rounded lip gave em more of a crazier action, more knock and noise, could fish it a lot faster, more of a traditional wakebait action and lots of head roll. Will not dive at all, can fish it super slow to fast. Doesn’t come through cover as good as the straight style. This style lip seems to give every bait I’ve used it on a lot of head roll, so if that’s not something you’re after I’d stay away from the round style. 

The “nez” style lip gave it a steady wake swim, waked great, can burn it without blowing out and will crank down a few inches which I like. It also comes thru cover nicely. 

Thanks for the info, the nez style lip sounds like what I am looking for. 

• 2 weeks later...