Newest mount im working on

buttaluns

Had a customer contact me saying he wanted a replica made of a bass he caught. It weight 5lbs 6oz. He caught it freelining a gizzard shad. I have the fins put in place and ready for paint. I will put the other fins on after detail work is done. As far as the shad, i took a hook and cut it in half and drilled a hole in the back of the shad and epoxied it in. I added a small blood line coming from it and also bloodshot the eyes of the shad to show its "stressed"

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

2012-08-029519-02-1495441.jpg

Ill post updated pics as the project progresses

Here is the latest pic. I tipped all the back scales and cheek scales with gold. I still have to do detail work around the mouth and add fins. The last part will be to spray it with clear to give it the wet look which will also make the colors pop. Here's a picture of the fish I'm replicating, it's a terrible picture and the only one I have which made it hard.

Betsy.jpg

Betsy-1.jpg

Not sure where your getting that from? Most smallie can have up to 4 lines on their gil plate, not to mention the top line usually goes past the eye almost to the nose area. Also, the bottom marking almost runs parallel to the eye, which again isn't the case on this fish. Maybe you can't see the markings on this replica as I had to paint the gil plate darker to match the fish I'm replicating. The fish isn't done anyways, I still have another coat of transparent gray to put on which will be like the 8th color I've incorporated. As far as the blank, as of now I'm ordering them and then attach the fins, eyes, and gils separately.

Not sure where your getting that from? Most smallie can have up to 4 lines on their gil plate, not to mention the top line usually goes past the eye almost to the nose area.

Maybe you misunderstood me. As you stated, smallies have markings on their gill plate. Largies, not so much. The largie in the picture doesn't appear to have any but your replica mount does. Like I said, everything looks good, except the gill plate markings on a largemouth mount.

Really? Fact of the matter is, all fish are different. Some areas you will see markings, some you will not. I actually caught the same fish and it did have markings, hence, why i put them on, the picture i have for reference is terrible anyways so i just made the call like i did on a few other areas.

26114yw.jpg

34eet7o.jpg

35cjxqe.jpg

34i4bbt.jpg

Fact of the matter is, all fish are different.

Yes, I agree.

I actually caught the same fish and it did have markings, hence, why i put them on...

How was I to know that? :lol:

I didn't mean to offend you. I said you did a good job but offered my opinion as to the markings on the mount not matching the fish in the picture. (And while yes, largies do get the markings on their "faces", I'm sure most bass anglers will agree that it is much more common to occur in smallmouth.) That's why you posted the pics of your work, right; to get opinions? Keep up the good work and don't get, as the saying goes, "butthurt" if somebody offers constructive critism. :lol:

I'm far from offended, I'm just responding and showing you pics to back what I'm saying. It's amazing the detail these fish have once you study reference pictures. I'll leave the hurt feelings to you and your pm'ing buddy, I'm sure you two can find plenty of more ish to talk.