TrueCoat Epoxy

chefchris

So I just ordered a batch of this epoxy to try out. The creator/guy who’s making (possibly rebranding a different epoxy) is Joe Peterson who builds an incredible musky baits (small batch high end stuff) 

every review I can find (mostly in the esox forums) says this stuff is incredible. 

so once it shows up I play on putting it thru it’s paces and seeing how it holds up for my use.

was $53 with shipping, 2 day priority mail 

im very happy with product I use now which has a similar durometer to the True Coat but always looking to improve. 

anyone ever try it? 
59618230-4CBC-40FC-86C3-EFDA4A7F750B.thumb.png.cf578a9a4234046f405d823ab59b734d.png

here’s the description from the site 

DESCRIPTION

All other epoxies out there are to cure from the top down. That way people that have little experience using epoxy could start using their bar or table top or boat without the epoxy being 100% cured on the lower layers. By curing from the top down – it makes the epoxy easy for anyone to use and the stores selling it don’t have to worry about people complaining about their bar tops.

The problem with it curing from top down, is that it forms a “ceiling ” the minute it gets mixed . This “ceiling” traps bubbles under it .

TrueCoat is formulated to cure from the bottom up. That means that bubbles are less likely to get entrapped. It actually pushes the bubbles out. So it is really clear! If you put it on in a thin coat, you can walk away. It has very little smell at all.

The formula is thicker than most two part bar top epoxies. One coat is equal to at least two coats of regular bar top epoxy.

It cures fast – in warm temps it will dry hard in 8 hours. It is a 80 durometer, so it has flex to it . That means it won’t crack or peel as easily as other, more brittle epoxies. It also is glossier than any epoxy I’ve ever used .

Came in today, but was like 30 degrees out and sat outside so testing this weekend 

here’s another pic of what’s in the box and full directions 

have to reach out to him and see if there’s smaller ratio batches as 2.5oz is more than I use in a single epoxy session and not sure of “open” working time.

will use it just like the one I use now, using the plate method and keeping everything the same. 

3DDD5D45-C97C-4095-A4B2-48914BCBD856.jpeg

So tried it this morning (Sunday 11/17/19) I did everything exactly the same as my other epoxy method (full write up is on here) 

made a smaller batch (half of what he has listed, 18.5 grams:16 grams) which is about 1.25oz (which is roughly only .25oz more than what I normally make) 

very low smell, mixes very smooth and evenly, and like zero bubbles 

I had a bunch of striper plugs that needed epoxy so I did a test batch using those. Was able to get 7 plugs done (mostly 8” metal lips and 2 8” pencils). Used all of the epoxy before it got too gummy to work with. Open time was about 35 minutes.

it’s got a thick consistency I would say similar to devcon 2 ton but goes on and spreads way easier. It doesn’t run or sag quickly (or at all) and seems like it might be a good epoxy for the guys that flip their baits instead of using a spinner (I did my baits that way for about 7 years)

it’s supposed to be 2x as thick as other 2 part epoxies in one coat and based on how it looks I would say that’s accurate. 

the baits are on the dryer spinner now so won’t have any updates til sometime tomorrow. 

first impressions I would say I’m highly impressed. 

if you haven’t seen the baits this guy makes and how clear and smooth his epoxy is you need to check it out. 

will update again tomorrow or Tuesday 

So took the baits off the spinner today and I’m highly impressed. 
i would say this epoxy is easily 2x thicker than regular etex and probably like 1.5x thicker than what I use now. 

one issue I had (not an issue at all) but because it cures from the bottom to the top (opposite of all other epoxies) when I checked my brush and cups throughout the day it was still tacky and got nervous something was off, but it’s just because the cure process is opposite. 

this might pose a problem for guys without enclosed spinners or dusty areas as the outside is the last thing to cure, something to consider. 

here’s some pics of some striper plugs (metal lips are Donny’s-surface wake bait and some sinking heavy pencils) I know they say 18 on em cause they’ve been sitting since last year waiting epoxy. 

going to give em a few days and then do some hook rash test 

DBA441F2-3C7C-4359-8D1E-1FA1C54E6F87.jpeg

8920E3A0-407B-41B9-8BA1-8FBEAC2E59BC.jpeg

9FBD7281-7DCA-4993-9E11-63E1FF9F2A0F.jpeg

7A228426-D512-4E69-9877-72876A56F1E1.jpeg

4211F53A-C436-4EBA-AF9F-824CBCE94CDB.jpeg

70DC4142-AE0F-4D4E-A4DA-5A9E78E1D338.jpeg

6 hours ago, DoomDiver said:

The finish on those are incredible and could save on time doing less number of coats on some lures.

Do you have an enclosure to keep your epoxy dust free or do you just epoxy in a separate space from your workshop?

Thank you I’m stoked on the finish on em.

I have a fairly large enclosed spinner, I’ll post some pics later. It does make a huge difference and I have a light bulb in it for heat. 

5 hours ago, surfk9 said:

Chris how long did u have them on the turner....what was your room temperature??? ....thanks....michel...Go Fish!!!

I had them spinning for about 8 hours, the temperature in the spinner box is about 66-68 without heat, once they spin for 6-8 hours I turn the light bulb on (70 watt) and that will get the box up to about 77-79 degrees. I’ll leave em in the box with the heat on for 24 hours or longer depending on if I need the spinner the next day or not 

On 11/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, chefchris said:

I had them spinning for about 8 hours, the temperature in the spinner box is about 66-68 without heat, once they spin for 6-8 hours I turn the light bulb on (70 watt) and that will get the box up to about 77-79 degrees. I’ll leave em in the box with the heat on for 24 hours or longer depending on if I need the spinner the next day or not 

I should get a heat lamp and an enclosure it seems... my garage is currently 40 degrees so I had to move my epoxy operations indoors for the winter.