Black Dog Baits' Shellcracker G2

KeepinItReelFishing

Well that took forever.  Been amassing clips of this things since I got it six years ago.  I knew it was special then, and the more I fished it the more I wanted to do create a video worthy of the bait.  In 2012 I bought a Shellcracker G2, a Hudd 68, and a Mattlures Ultimate Gill.  Seven years and hundreds of swimbaits later the Shellcracker G2, without question, makes the short list of must haves if I was forced to only keep a handful of lures.  My opinion is based solely on my experience.  That experience being my outcomes and relating those outcomes in terms of numeric data.  Its not conjecture....the G2 has, for me, literally out fished my other small wake baits.  Part of that no doubt is due to the fact that its compact (more bites from all sizes of fish), and also in part due to its ability to effectively be a crankbait and also a squarebill.  But, therein lies one of the things that I'm always looking for....a bait that is competent at doing multiple things in any given cast.  

Even amongst long videos this is a long one.  But, fear not as all the chapters/topics are time stamped in the video description and you can shoot right to those areas you want to know about and skip others (if you want).  

From Youtube Video description:

"The Black Dog Baits Shellcracker G2 is a smartly designed, multi-function swimbait that punches higher than its weight.  It performs exceptionally well in three distinctly different areas: Waking, Cover Bumping, and Cranking.  Its this versatility coupled to its small, but very chunky profile that has earned this bait a stallar reputation since its release and not only a "numbers" bait, but a legit big fish bait.  It is an early choice of many anglers who are starting to get into big baits/swimbaits and want something appreciably bigger than "traditional" lures, but aren't comfortable or ready for the really big baits.  It is at the very top of my segue lures due to the fact that you don't need swimbait gear (rod or reel) to use it successfully.  However, while it catches fish of all sizes it has developed a well earned reputation of catching more giant bass than you would expect from a lure of its size.  It is without question in my select group of SUPER confidence lures as it seems to get bit when other lures in the same category are not.  Call it "the juice" or the "X-factor", but something about the Shellcracker G2's design, size, sound, and action come together to make it a truly special lure."

Make some popcorn and grab a beverage.....cause she's feature length!

On 12/11/2019 at 8:01 PM, waynem said:

Another great review by Carl!!!!!  That must have taken a lot of hours to produce.  I'm sure its much appreciated by the SU community.

Thank you Wayne.

With my daughter now 3 and she wanting attention all the time / me wanting to give her attention all the time, it took about 4 months.  Ten mins here, 20 mins there, etc.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, CG_Fishes said:

I already have the redear color, but q lot of fish seem to miss the bait when fishing in low light, do you think that a black one would be a good investment?

I have always heard something like that Conner...."if a fish isn't eating the bait all the way, change the color".  I dunno man, I've always been skeptical.  Having said that, I think it stands to reason that the very bright or obnoxious colors could potentially elicit a different response.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  So, yeah.....I would say either a black model or one of the white ones (Pearl White or "LCR" (Left Coast Reaction)).

7 minutes ago, KeepinItReelFishing said:

I have always heard something like that Conner...."if a fish isn't eating the bait all the way, change the color".  I dunno man, I've always been skeptical.  Having said that, I think it stands to reason that the very bright or obnoxious colors could potentially elicit a different response.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  So, yeah.....I would say either a black model or one of the white ones (Pearl White or "LCR" (Left Coast Reaction)).

for sure, I mean I can't continue to put time into the bait when only 50% of the blowups are getting hooks. Gotta give em something that they can't miss, big and bold