wake / crankdown shad

trnsfererr

Bait looks good! What material are you currently using for the tail? Urethane is probably too hard for a multi joint swimmer and better suited for glides. Most plastisols however come available in multiple hardnesses. I like using medium-hard to hard for increased durability. If the tail is still killing the action step down to a softer plastic or change the tail design/thickness.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:02 PM, danthefisherman said:

Bait looks good! What material are you currently using for the tail? Urethane is probably too hard for a multi joint swimmer and better suited for glides. Most plastisols however come available in multiple hardnesses. I like using medium-hard to hard for increased durability. If the tail is still killing the action step down to a softer plastic or change the tail design/thickness.

I am not totally sure what i used to be honest, i just melted down some creature baits i think they were reaction innovations lol. I used a mold i made but i haven’t got into buying plastisols yet i need to do more research. I think a thinner design and softer plastic will work well. I tried using an extra tail i have from lunker fighters switchblade and it works perfectly just how it did with out the tail. Any recommendations on where to buy plastisol or any good experiences you had with certain companies? 

39 minutes ago, trnsfererr said:

I am not totally sure what i used to be honest, i just melted down some creature baits i think they were reaction innovations lol. I used a mold i made but i haven’t got into buying plastisols yet i need to do more research. I think a thinner design and softer plastic will work well. I tried using an extra tail i have from lunker fighters switchblade and it works perfectly just how it did with out the tail. Any recommendations on where to buy plastisol or any good experiences you had with certain companies? 

Thinner and softer definitely gets the nod. You'll have to experiment to find what works best for your bait, but Alumilite or Bait Plastics make decent plastisols for a fair price. Try contacting the manufacture about it and most of them will be happy to send you sample product. Good luck!

Bait plastic is a really good product. my experiance with alumilite alumisol wasnt too good, maybe just a bad batch but I didnt like it. Also if you get a softer plastic you can always add hardener to get the hardness you want for the bait. Great looking bait by the way.

Edited by Rogervang

On 12/26/2019 at 7:25 AM, Rogervang said:

Bait plastic is a really good product. my experiance with alumilite alumisol wasnt too good, maybe just a bad batch but I didnt like it. Also if you get a softer plastic you can always add hardener to get the hardness you want for the bait. Great looking bait by the way.

Thank you, just ordered some super soft plastisol and hardener just in case from bait plastics. Cant wait to try this out. Now to make a new tail.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, porkmeatballs said:

Good choice! Bait Plastics plastisol works pretty well for its price. From my experience, it has relatively few bubbles and is resistant to burning. They even occasionally add a free small bottle of dye with your order.

I went with bait plastics and ended up carving a thinner tail (few different ones til i was happy enough to make a mold). I bought the softest plastisol they had and made some different amounts of hardener. Happy with how it turned out thank you for the advice.