First try at making a mold

Nate1302

This was my first attempt at this so I’ve been learning along the way, but I decided it would be best to start with a simple master without a lot of details. I chose bass wood because of how easy it is to work with. The first mold I made worked decent, but I wasn’t happy with how it looked so I made a better, smoother one. After a lot of experimenting with different weighting and tweaks I finally figured out how to make a good wake. The thing I like the most about working with a mold is the ability to pour a bunch of baits and try something new on each one without carving a new bait. The thing I’ve been struggling with the most is the painting, but I’m happy with the progress so far. Can wait for the ice to melt out and try a few of them. Let me know what you think!

C4A2D8B1-64E8-4A34-9233-38C6B050EAAB.jpeg

E1096C0A-6540-49BC-BBD4-A21F5B965AF5.jpeg

171B2328-4A99-493C-8502-A337E0A4935B.jpeg

91D3B6D7-5424-4492-90CD-171648AD80EE.jpeg

FDFECE22-8D78-4D0D-8D18-D2E69C385506.jpeg

1F169A7C-43BE-43AA-BBC1-C618C7FF27DE.jpeg

Thanks! Of the three bluegill, I cut the lip for the one in the middle. It made it dive deeper and I was able to reel it slower and still get a good s action. It was a guess at the shape, but ended up working better than I could have hoped for. 

Nice results for first attempts all the way around...nice looking baits...curious do you cut lip slot in master....seems as though it might be difficult after the fact to keep everything square....thanks...michel...Go Fish!!!

@surfk9 It is a bit of a challenge cutting the lip slot square every time, but my original plan was to make a glide, so I wanted to keep it solid. I actually have a groove that goes across the bottom of the bait under the gill plates that is square, so the saw I use sets right into it. I think In the future I will make a second mold with the lip slot cut. 

1 hour ago, Rogervang said:

That came out really good Nate. Cant wait to see what you catch with the bait. 

On my next mold, I'm planning to cut out the lip slot @surfk9 its a hassle trying to square every bait after demolding. 

When i make a mold with the slot or even eye sockets, that part of the mold seems to rip out after a few de-molds. Maybe it's because I don't use a mold release but the rtv weakens at those spots with use.