Rod help

trevorjones13

I'm new to swimbaits and want to get a dedicated swimbait rod instead of using my flipping rod. I only get rods made in America and am interested in the e6x swimbait rod (8ft) or the guru swimbait rod. I want to throw glides and rats mainly. Just wondering how these rods would fair for those baits? I dont plan on throwing anything huge (under 4 oz) and these are rated to 6 oz. Would throwing an s waver 168 on these rods and lighter baits of that nature be a bad idea for these baits? Any advice helps. Thanks

2 hours ago, trevorjones13 said:

I'm new to swimbaits and want to get a dedicated swimbait rod instead of using my flipping rod. I only get rods made in America and am interested in the e6x swimbait rod (8ft) or the guru swimbait rod. I want to throw glides and rats mainly. Just wondering how these rods would fair for those baits? I dont plan on throwing anything huge (under 4 oz) and these are rated to 6 oz. Would throwing an s waver 168 on these rods and lighter baits of that nature be a bad idea for these baits? Any advice helps. Thanks

the G. Loomis E6X 965c will cover a lot of your smaller glides and billed rat baits. Great rod for the price. From what you're describing its sounds like the right rod build for the job. 

http://www.gloomis.com/content/gloomis/northamerica/usconv/en/homepage/PDP.P-E6X_BASS_SWIMBAIT_GEN2.html

Thank you for the input Danny. I was worried about that Jack. I would love to get the ldc white label 7'9" medium heavy. Also looked at imx 7'6" medium 1/2-3 oz but one bait I plan on getting is micro mink from toxic and thats 3 oz. Im sure the rod could handle it but dont want to push it. 

Can't go wrong the the LDC medium heavy white label. The parabolic slow taper on that stick is great for keeping trebles pinned. Unfortunately, I think they are out of stock at the moment. If you are willing to fork out the extra cash you can get a custom build in approx two months. Just received mine this last week and I couldn't be happier with the craftsmanship.

12 hours ago, trevorjones13 said:

Just because I wasn’t looking to throw anything that big. Jack had said the 965 wasn’t something he throws treble hook baits on and that’s really what I’m looking for 

I don’t own an IMX 965 or 966, but I am looking at getting one. The guys at tactical bassin throw almost everything on those rods, particularly treble baits. It wouldn’t surprise me if the IMX pro and the E6X are completely different beasts. The e6x line tends to be pretty different from the rest of the loomis rods. 

Can't praise enough the Dobyns Champion 795 SB. Especially if you can find the "Mike Long" edition (yeah I know but such a great rod). Overall great mix of responsive tip, great backbone and parabolic action. The tip is great for larger walk the dog baits.

Rated 1-5oz but more 1/2 to 3oz in reality. Great for glide baits, Arig and soft swimbaits. I have used Expride, Zodias, Legend Extreme, KISTLER HELIUM3 AND ZBONE, Powell Max and Endurance, Megabass Levante and Destroyer, etc. And this is my overall favortie rod to throw (surprisingly 2nd is the Zodias but for more traditional techniques).

This model also exist in the more affordable Fury line. Did not try it so can't compare

Never gone the GLoomis route but tried E6X and did not like them.

I throw everything from a Rago Alpha rat to the Hiroshima Gillrilla/Billrilla's on the IMX 965c as well as Triple Trouts 8"&10" and have loved it. Caught Largemouth, Striper, and a larger size catfish (bycatch) and had plenty of control while hooked up too with no pulled hooks. The E6X is slightly heavier due to being a different construction, but still have no complaints. Not sure if I would classify it as a non-treble hook rod because thats what its made for with its moderate fast taper, but it wont be as parabolic as the IMX Pro version of the 965c. There are a ton of good rods available, Dobyns Fury 795c (1-5oz) and iRod's Jr Swim are both really solid selections as well but I have selected G. Loomis as my preference so I am speaking from experience on those selections. Fished both Dobyns and iRod in the past and liked them but made a move to all Loomis a little over 2 years ago. I would advise taking a look at any rods available to do so at a local shop and make your decision yourself. Many anglers have different fishing styles so your rod should be based on how you fish. 

Edited by Badfish562

If you are like 99% of the dedicated swimbaiters here you will start out thinking you will never throw anything bigger than something like a 168 S-Waver.  And then in a year or two you find that you never throw anything as small as a 168 Waver.  A Dobyns 795 will handle 168s, Hardgills, etc.  If you graduate to bigger baits you will want a 6 or 7 power rod but that 795 will still get plenty of use when you go into a "finesse" swimbait mode.

BTW Dobyns rods are a solid choice.  Three years ago they had crap guides but after they switched to Fuji guides the complaints pretty much disappeared.  Wait for a Tackle Warehouse sale and the price is incredibly reasonable.