Potential WR Sacramento Pikeminnow (Squawfish)

Jace D

Congrats on a potential WR pikeminnow.  I'm jealous - those are really neat fish!  Yeah, they eat trout, but then, what fish that we throw swimbaits at doesn't? :-D

I would be thrilled to the gills to get a DD pikeminnow! They are really neat fish - no teeth in their mouths but a set of wicked ginzu-knife style blades in their throats.  I've seen one in an aquarium suck in a goldfish and spit out goldfish steaks that looked like they were cut with a cleaver.  I've never caught one bigger than about 7 lbs, but the ones I've caught hit like freight trains (ambush predators) and run and jump.

7 hours ago, FishDr said:

Congrats on a potential WR pikeminnow.  I'm jealous - those are really neat fish!  Yeah, they eat trout, but then, what fish that we throw swimbaits at doesn't? :-D

I would be thrilled to the gills to get a DD pikeminnow! They are really neat fish - no teeth in their mouths but a set of wicked ginzu-knife style blades in their throats.  I've seen one in an aquarium suck in a goldfish and spit out goldfish steaks that looked like they were cut with a cleaver.  I've never caught one bigger than about 7 lbs, but the ones I've caught hit like freight trains (ambush predators) and run and jump.

Ya man, I can’t really complain about the fight. They hit hard and pull like a truck. Just makes you a little disappointed when you thought you finally had a DD or teener bass on and this big slimy thing comes up. LOL!

Collin caught one last year in a tournament that was the biggest I’ve ever seen. It made this one look like a dink. Never weighed it but it had to be 17+.
I really think that these ones we’re catching on swimbaits are some of the biggest ones in the world and should be seen as trophy catches but since we’re not targeting them we just aren’t all that thrilled.