3:16 Workhorse Hardware

Tydus

7 hours ago, Tydus said:

Just purchased a workhorse without hardware and was wondering what hardware are you guys using? TIA

I’d use the opportunity to use specific hardware to tune your bait your liking. Comes stock with owner hardware and I think hooks are 1/0. Not sure on ring size. Just go smaller and lighter for a slower rof. Bigger and heavier for faster rof

If you use a specific type of snap, or tactical angler clip, make sure you test swim using it. Last thing you want is to get out on the water and have it swim like crap. Just because you put it in a tub of water at home, and it sat horizontal doesn’t, mean it’ll swim correctly out on the water.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what a slow sinking weighs on average? I bought the workhorse as a slow sink but it sinks a little fast with stock hardware and weighs around 3.8 oz. I’m hoping that downsizing in split rings doesn’t affect the action. It’s my first time owning a workhorse. 

Edited by Tydus

On 4/2/2020 at 2:28 AM, Tydus said:

Does anyone know what a slow sinking weighs on average? I bought the workhorse as a slow sink but it sinks a little fast with stock hardware and weighs around 3.8 oz. I’m hoping that downsizing in split rings doesn’t affect the action. It’s my first time owning a workhorse. 

Downsizing rings isn't going to save much weight (about 0.1 gram per ring per size down) but if you do make sure you replace all three (both hangers and line tie) with same size so you don't affect balance.

Best bet for weight reduction will be to switch over to Gamakatsu  G-Finesse MH 1/0.  A pair of these will save you about a gram in weight vs the ST-36 1/0.  

It should be noted that smaller rings and lighter hooks will make it harder to keep the fish pinned, so extra care should be taken with rod and line choice.