Fish finder on jon boat

Grizzn n bassin

10 hours ago, waynem said:

The image quality when mounted on a trolling motor mount is excellent.  Many sonars come with a transom mount and you can return that to the manufacturer for a trolling motor mount.  Or you may be able to specify a TM mount when you order it.  You should check this out before ordering.

Thanks I'm going to look into that for sure. i think that would be the way to go just for making it simple to set up and break down my boat every time. 

My brother and I just got the Garmin Striker 4 as our first graph and it's already way too complicated for us haha. It gets the job done for sure, but we grew up blind fishing so it'll take a bit of time to get used to :P

The Striker is a great little graph for smaller craft. We recently bought our first hard shell kayaks to fish from and this unit is the perfect size when deck space is limited. It doesn't really get in the way and has more than enough functions and graphing capabilities to locate fish and structure.

I have a helix 7 SI G3 on a small boat and love it so far. The SI is what I use most considering the lakes I fish aren’t super deep. I’m able to clearly see fish on the flats and channels and when cruising shallower water. Considered the helix 8 or 9 also, but the size of the head unit was a lot  bigger than the 7.  
I put the transducer on a Scotty kayak mount which I just swing down into position when I’m using it. The Scotty mount also detaches completely when I’m done.  And, I run a smaller SLA battery just for the helix.  Lasts all day for me.

I ordered the RAM transducer mount and the RAM universal mount with the short arm for the crawdad. This way I don't have to worry about damaging the transducer like i did on my other boat. 

Looking into the Nocqua Power Kit to run the power for it, so the TM battery is just running the motor. the 10ah kit runs for $129, fully sealed, waterproof battery, charger, cables, and only weighs 1lb. 

19 hours ago, El_Weruso said:

Minor Update: So i went to the fred hall show and saw the Helix G2 5 in person that i was checking out and its tiny! 5" is small for a boat, going with the Helix G2 7 Tripleshot now 

I was at field and stream on Sunday checking them out again the 5 is the size of my phone haha. But the 7 helix was very nice. Also tried the Lowrance 9 ti with touch screen which I really liked the ease of changing settings. 

On 3/7/2020 at 11:52 AM, danthefisherman said:

My brother and I just got the Garmin Striker 4 as our first graph and it's already way too complicated for us haha. It gets the job done for sure, but we grew up blind fishing so it'll take a bit of time to get used to :P

The Striker is a great little graph for smaller craft. We recently bought our first hard shell kayaks to fish from and this unit is the perfect size when deck space is limited. It doesn't really get in the way and has more than enough functions and graphing capabilities to locate fish and structure.

Man I hear that I’ve been blind fishing my whole life haha lucky enough I picked up jig fishing a few months into bass fishing and started dragging them everywhere. Took a long time but now I know most of the small lakes by me pretty well. 

Those small fish finders on the kayak are nice I have a little bit more space on my jon boat and have been interested in learning the down and side imagining

6 hours ago, chefchris said:

I ordered the RAM transducer mount and the RAM universal mount with the short arm for the crawdad. This way I don't have to worry about damaging the transducer like i did on my other boat. 

Looking into the Nocqua Power Kit to run the power for it, so the TM battery is just running the motor. the 10ah kit runs for $129, fully sealed, waterproof battery, charger, cables, and only weighs 1lb. 

That ram transducer mount looks pretty sweet man, I might have to go that route. Easy to put on and take off. 

4 hours ago, Grizzn n bassin said:

I was at field and stream on Sunday checking them out again the 5 is the size of my phone haha. But the 7 helix was very nice. Also tried the Lowrance 9 ti with touch screen which I really liked the ease of changing settings. 

Yeah man, i was blown away but glad i saw it in person (Comes to show it's best to see what you intend to buy in person). Going with the helix g2 7 tripleshot now just waiting to see if one goes up for auction

• 1 month later...

Update thought about it for a awhile and decided on the helix 9 MSI+ GPS G3N. 

just wondering what maps cards are you guys using ? I looked up lake master which did say they had coverage of my town and county. Just unsure if it covers the water I’m looking for.

Also looked up navonics they have coverage of the river I’m looking for . But is getting the hot maps or platinum worth the extra money ?  And can those cards be used for auto chart live  or do I need the zero lines card for that 

thanks hope everybody is staying safe out there