UFO wake baits - what dictates the depth they dive

prizmshallow

Hey SU,

Looking into getting some UFO baits in the near future, eyeing a wake gill and juvi gill. Was curious if anyone can explain the difference in the depths the wake gill cranks down? I know some are straight wake, some crank down shallow, mid or deep. There is also slow sink and fast sink with no bill? But what is the difference in these baits? Is it the size, angle or lack of the bill? Or is it just weighted differently? 

I’m mainly fishing from the bank in small ponds so not sure I need deep version but was wondering if I get shallow dive am I only able to crank it down 2ft? Or if you start a faster retrieve will that get the bait even deeper then that? Don’t see as many people fishing the slow and fast sink compared to the amount of people fishing billed/wake ufo baits. Is this for any particular reason?

looking for any insight on these baits, set ups, retrieves. Hopefully see a few you guys out at the event this Saturday at Santee!  

The depth of the billed baits is dictated by the angle of the bill. In the case of a crankdown, you can increase the depth by adjusting line type, hardware, or additional weighting such as lead tape, pinch weights / lead wire on hook shanks, etc. 

Regarding the billed vs non-billed countdown, it is simply a matter of availability. Seems that the countdown baits haven't been built too much lately compared to the billed ones.