250 hook question again.

chefchris

So got in the gami round bend trebles in 2/0 and 1/0 like butch recommends for the 250 and they don’t sit right at all. 
Unless I got the wrong ones or they changed something these don’t sit flat against the body like he talks about. 
the only one that lays flat with one hook point facing out the eye is the wrong orientation, the other two options have two hook points facing out unevenly. 
maybe I’m missing something 

A36E813C-8B2C-41B0-9710-6F245246B604.jpeg

44A6B656-11FF-42A4-87A3-D197C2F0FD3C.jpeg

3964B361-72CC-4C13-88AD-7528E07A0E21.jpeg

43AF57A4-8284-4F2C-8A4E-3EAF106144A7.jpeg

2 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Bummer...I would just add another split ring to rotate the hook and provide more freedom of motion

Yeah I’m just confused now seeing he’s been pushing that hook for so long and it doesn’t sit like how he mentioned. 

30 minutes ago, chefchris said:

Yeah I’m just confused now seeing he’s been pushing that hook for so long and it doesn’t sit like how he mentioned. 

Not to down talk him or get anyone riled up... but i would be surprised if he actually divulged in his secrets. I mean what swimbait fisherman would, i listened to his 2 hour podcast and there were times he sounded hesitant as if he was catching himself saying too much info or switch it up. Although this is just my opinion

14 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

I’d run it like in the second pic. Or try the vmc inline. Personally I think it’s hard to beat an owner

yes that requires two split rings which is fine and may actually be helpful, he just never mentions that anywhere, I have plenty of other hooks on hand to try as well. 

On 3/16/2020 at 8:32 PM, chefchris said:

yes that requires two split rings which is fine and may actually be helpful, he just never mentions that anywhere, I have plenty of other hooks on hand to try as well. 

What split rings and hooks you swapping out with ? 

14 minutes ago, Skeeter102 said:

What split rings and hooks you swapping out with ? 

That’s the ring Butch runs. He was nice enough to answer my messages. I’m running those Gamakatsu hooks he recommends, but based on the pics he sent me they don’t sit flat with one ring. So I’ll run two of em. 

im also trying out the owner sty-35 hooks in 2/0 size in front in 1/0 in the back. Hooks are a coated grey color. 

1DDD7A9A-127A-4059-8D6B-92F9B3D5038E.png

26 minutes ago, chefchris said:

That’s the ring Butch runs. He was nice enough to answer my messages. I’m running those Gamakatsu hooks he recommends, but based on the pics he sent me they don’t sit flat with one ring. So I’ll run two of em. 

im also trying out the owner sty-35 hooks in 2/0 size in front in 1/0 in the back. Hooks are a coated grey color. 

1DDD7A9A-127A-4059-8D6B-92F9B3D5038E.png

Chis,  I think you misunderstood what Butch was talking about.  The hooks lay flat as the bait swims because of the light wire.  As the bait moves the hooks swing back against the body.   Heavier hooks do not.   As for the orientation of the hook points, my opinion is that you are over thinking it.  If the fish smokes the bait and presses a treble against the bait, two hook points press against the bait and one pokes out hopefully sticking the fish.  It doesn't matter how they are orientated for this to happen.

Mike

On 3/17/2020 at 12:16 AM, Mossypumpkin said:

I’d run it like in the second pic. Or try the vmc inline. Personally I think it’s hard to beat an owner

Owner hooks have been my favorites for a long time now. Back when I fished texas rigs a lot I started using Gamakatsu hooks. When I tried Owner EWG worm hooks I never bought Gamakatsu again. Owners are more sharp and stronger. Same with treble hooks. I like both the ST-36 and ST-41. The ST-41 is 2x, so, it's stronger than the 36, but it has the hook points turned in, so, if bass are just slapping the bait and not fully commiting I feel the hook up rate will not be as high as with the 36. If they are really commiting and engulfing the bait then the 41 might be better because your hook up to land ratio will be higher, since it will be harder for a bass to throw those hooks because of the turned in hook points. I think the ST-41 is an hybrid between a round bend and an EWG hook. With that said, I still have a good hook up ration with the ST-41, but I'm starting to use the ST-36 more and more because I prefer a stealthier approach and prefer light wire hooks and I still feel I'll catch more bass on a round bend treble. I wish they made a bronze colored ST-36, but I think I'll start painting my hooks (except the hook points) white or yellow/orange, depending on the color on the swimbait belly. As long as you use a good quality sharp hook and have confidence in it I think you'll do great. Don't know if the hook size and color makes a big difference but I guess it can, specially on pressured lakes. I know people who fish in saltwater for sea bream with a bobber and the anglers who catch the largest breams are the ones who use the smallest possible hooks and cover all of the hook with the bait...

Edited by mcaetano2905